Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Nothing, nothing...starts!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing, nothing...starts!

I have a 1987 Z-28 Iroc V-8 350 and recently had an odd problem with it that I have never had with any previous Camaro I owned.
When I go to start it in the morning it cranks and turns but won't catch, it is not without some effort until the car eventually does start. I have had this problem in winter with a cold engine but never had it during warm weather. The odd thing is that after that initial start the car with start every single time without effort for the rest of the day, then when left alone over night the problem starts again, that first start of the day takes some real effort.

Any idea what problem I might be having?

Thanks in advance guys, this site has ALWAYS been great in helping me keep my 3rd gens on the road!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,289 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Nothing, nothing...starts!

Bad starter

You can verify easily enough: next time it malfunctions, QUICK before it fixes itself (which sooner or later, it WON'T any more... ) have somebody sit in the car and hold the key in Start, and while they're holding it there, bang on the starter with a tire tool or something big like that. If it instantly starts at the moment of banging, then.... guess what.