Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Idle issue and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 4bbl
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Idle issue and other questions

Forgive me if I seem ignorant, I've never worked on a carbed vehicle and haven't touched a wrench to anything under any hood in the better part of four years but that's about to change I have a chilton's manual and a service manual on the way to my house but I figured I could get some sage advice from the forum while I'm doing nothing today.

So here's the thing. I got this car two weeks ago and am planning on restoring it bit by bit (on a working man's budget and waiting for some loans to get paid off before I get deep in it) so for now it's slowly swapping old parts for new ones although I do plan on putting some fun in it later. It's a weekend ride so downtime isn't really an issue. Anyway, to the idle problem I'm having. First and foremost it takes me 2-3 tries to start the car and I usually have to feather the gas to get it to go. Once it starts, it chugs and unless I give it gas it dies again. Once she stays lit, everything is fine, but the car idles around 500 rpm. That may be normal but it sure doesn't sound like it. BUT it only idles @ 500 RPM when cold. Once she's warmed up it climbs to something on the order of 1200 RPM. Any ideas? It's frustrating as my driveway is pea gravel and I've already gone sideways twice pulling into it I know these dudes have idle screws and other such goodies but as I stated I've only worked on FI cars and while I know what a carb is and how it works I don't know anything about how to adjust them.

Next. The kid I bought the car from said the motor had been rebuilt at 159k mi and while it runs strong I have my doubts about this- mainly because the valve covers and block are dirty with grime and I wouldn't think that much would accumulate over 30k, and I myself was always taught to clean a block up whenever working on it to keep funk from falling in where it doesn't belong. But that's really the only reason why I disbelieve him- it leaks no fluids and the oil looks healthy from being changed ~2k mi ago. It's got a new belt but the hoses and such could bear to be replaced...other than new hoses and a general tuneup what should I go about replacing? The car runs great, no hesitation, the only hitch is the idle thing, no CEL or other lights come up.

What about these carb rebuild kits? Would it be worth it to tear mine down and do this? I guess a more appropriate question would be WHAT is a rebuild kit for... like I said I'm ignorant about carbs so bear with me.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me. It's a 305 motor stock with a Qjet.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 4bbl
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: Idle issue and other questions

Bump...