Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

89 camaro sputters down the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 camaro sputters down the road

So hey fellas, I bought a 600$ camaro a few days ago and it's been a blast so far. It's an 89 with a 305 and an automatic trans. I don't really know much else.

Today, however, I ran into some problems. Basically I got tags for it today so i was anxious to go for a drive. I drive about 20 miles just fine, but then I got stuck behind someone else who was crawling down the street at idle speed. I had my foot off the gas for a few seconds until the car ahead of me pulled off the road, and when I stepped back on it my car was dead. I braked just fine, put the car in park and restarted the engine just fine, and drove home.

Just now, I wanted to drive it again, so I hopped in and cruised around for a bit. I accelerated hard once which prompted the check engine light to come on (it has come on several times since buying it, intermittently.) I kept driving, but near home (going at about 55mph) the engine started cutting in and out for about a mile, but then, just as i was about to pull over and try a restart, it cleared up and I drove home smoothly. The car continued to idle smoothly in the driveway for about five minutes. Shut down the car and restarted it with no problems, like usual.

It's poor engine is about 1/4th full of extremely dirty oil, and the transmission is extremely low on fluid as well. My hope is that once I get an oil change this Tuesday, and pick up some new transmission fluid, these bumps should smooth over. Suspiciously, however, there is a brand new unwrapped fuel filter left in the trunk by the previous owner. I've had problems with fuel delivery before with a 94 S10 blazer so I know how that can be.

So what do you guys think, Is it just an unloved car that needs its fluids or is it something more serious?

TL;DR My camaro stalled at low speed and began sputtering at cruising speed but recovered; check engine light comes on and stays on only after hard acceleration
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed
Re: 89 camaro sputters down the road

Originally Posted by cannibaljeri
So hey fellas, I bought a 600$ camaro a few days ago and it's been a blast so far. It's an 89 with a 305 and an automatic trans. I don't really know much else.

Today, however, I ran into some problems. Basically I got tags for it today so i was anxious to go for a drive. I drive about 20 miles just fine, but then I got stuck behind someone else who was crawling down the street at idle speed. I had my foot off the gas for a few seconds until the car ahead of me pulled off the road, and when I stepped back on it my car was dead. I braked just fine, put the car in park and restarted the engine just fine, and drove home.

Just now, I wanted to drive it again, so I hopped in and cruised around for a bit. I accelerated hard once which prompted the check engine light to come on (it has come on several times since buying it, intermittently.) I kept driving, but near home (going at about 55mph) the engine started cutting in and out for about a mile, but then, just as i was about to pull over and try a restart, it cleared up and I drove home smoothly. The car continued to idle smoothly in the driveway for about five minutes. Shut down the car and restarted it with no problems, like usual.

It's poor engine is about 1/4th full of extremely dirty oil, and the transmission is extremely low on fluid as well. My hope is that once I get an oil change this Tuesday, and pick up some new transmission fluid, these bumps should smooth over. Suspiciously, however, there is a brand new unwrapped fuel filter left in the trunk by the previous owner. I've had problems with fuel delivery before with a 94 S10 blazer so I know how that can be.

So what do you guys think, Is it just an unloved car that needs its fluids or is it something more serious?

TL;DR My camaro stalled at low speed and began sputtering at cruising speed but recovered; check engine light comes on and stays on only after hard acceleration
Since you already have a new fuel filter there I would instal it and see how that works for you.
If your fluids are a bad a you say, I would guess the rest of the car needs love also. Maybe besides all the fluids and filters changed you might want to do a full tune up on it.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cannibaljeri

Fun to drive YuP!

Not so much fun to diagnose and tune tho'...

Just screw the hammer to the floor.

OR,

get FSM Factory Shop Manual, and start with diagnostic trouble codes.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM

Okay so two days ago i drove the car again and the engine ran firmly for quite a while.

I haven't been able to change the engine oil yet because I can't get the nut off!!!

but I have another question

When I was driving I avoided hard acceleration, and after about 10-15 minutes of easy driving the engine light came on.

Now i'm wondering, is the car having temperature issues? naturally the only gauge on my dash that seems to be busted is my temp gauge. The engine feels physically very hot after a drive, and even after just a few minutes of idling. The radiator is full of coolant. I've checked to see if the lower hose was collapsing and it isn't. could it be a blockage in the engine or is it just the friction from the dirty oil?

I really should get around to changing out that gauge, also I guess i need to take it in since my oil pan is beat to hell and the nut wont come loose
Old 08-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Also I think I found out why it's stalling/sputtering

It stalled today in the driveway, So I got out and opened the gas cap, and heard a big whoooosh as air sucked into it

There's a vacuum forming in my gas tank as fuel is burned off!