Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

SPARK KNOCK CAN S*CK IT *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI Edelbrock Intake
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi
SPARK KNOCK CAN S*CK IT *HELP*

Okay guys so i have a 305 with stock internals, heddman headers, and an edelbrock performer tbi. Im running in OPEN loop(due to the 02 sensor). I have spark knock with LIGHT LOAD, and sometimes you can hear it while idling. I disconnected my set timing connector and almost all of the spark knock is gone, the car just runs a bit sluggish. Ive tried turning the timing down, doesnt rid of the spark knock. If i turn it up theres more spark knock but the car runs like a bat outta hell. Any ideas on whats going on here? Anything i can do to the computer to create a fake 02 sensor signal?
Thanks.

Any input/criticism is welcome.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: SPARK KNOCK CAN S*CK IT *HELP*

Anything i can do to the computer to create a fake 02 sensor signal?
Sure.

Install one of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2990 by drilling a hole with one of these http://www.lowes.com/Search=unibit?s...ue&Ntt=unibit#! and having yerbasic local welder (exh shop for example) weld it in, and install an O2 sensor. Best fake job there is.

Any ideas on whats going on here?
If it spark-knocks while idling, you have A PROBLEM, well beyond twiddling with the timing. I'd be looking at head gaskets blown between cylinders (between #5 & #7 in particular will do this), exh lobes down on the cam, stuff like that. A compression test should point you in the right direction.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you saying that the ECM is REPORTING knock, or that you are HEARING knock?? Big difference. You could just have a pipe tinging against stomething (or more serious internal engine issues).

Faking out the KS is easy. Just spin by Radio Shack (if they are still in business) and pick up a 3900 Ohm resistor. Nothing special- just one of those little ones like you would see soldered into an old circuit board.

Unplug the KS wire, attach one lead of the resistor to it and the other resistor lead to a good ground location. It'll still think the KS is there (since you matched it's resistance to ground) but, obviously, it will never report engine knock to the ECM.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:19 PM

Car: 91 formula ws6
Engine: 355 tpi OBDII
Transmission: 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 with 4th gen brakes
Since its fuel Injected, you need the oxygen sensor hooked up. No its and or buts. Hook the damn thing up.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Formula WS6, T-top
Engine: 5.7L T.P.I.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Limited slip, 3.23 10 bolt

Off topic......Can a fouled or bad O2 trick the Ecm into throwing a code 32? I keep getting a 32, and the only egr related thing I haven't done is pull the runners and clean the intake.