Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Starter

So lately I've noticed I had a hot start issue, 305 carb on 88 firebird. What happened was starter would rapidly click if I tried to restart when operating temp. If I kept trying to start for a few mins it would run my battery down then I would have to let it cool down and then get a jump. So I replaced the starter, had battery checked 3 times to verify good battery. Car starts nice and strong, but after getting to operating temp solenoid may occasionally click a few times then car would turn over slowly. So I thought maybe a ground or battery cable issue. I put thicker gauge wire from + to starter. I cleaned grounds to block, ensured wires and connections were clean and tight. Seems to be working strong on a cold morning start. If I turn car off and on a few times in a row, by 3rd start solenoid clicks then starter turns slowly. I checked battery voltage right after that and it was 12.7 or something. Did a load test it passed and checked volts while car running and its 14 volts running. While cranking volts drop to 11. Starting to think it's not a hot start issue, as I performed car on off test while motor cold. After 3rd start motor still cold I can even touch manifolds, I still get solenoid click. And this is on the new starter. I don't know why I still get the occasional solenoid click and slow turnover.