Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Oil Leak need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA Trans am 1 owner since new
Engine: 383 built
Transmission: 1995 camaro t56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.24 posi 9 bolt
Oil Leak need help

I have a 1988 305 tpi 5 speed gta .

I have a oil leak pretty bad leaking from my oil fitler years ago it used to be a drop and now its a lot worse....its hard to see where its leaking but its wet with oil half way up motor....
I know my rear main seal is leaking is it possible for the oil to fly around that area I have a drip from my tranny case and belle housing...I know I have a leak....
im just curious....

I thought maybe some leak oil pressure sensor or something up there.....

any help like whats common.....

ty
Old 08-24-2016, 06:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Oil Leak need help

its wet with oil half way up motor
Then it's not the filter; oil doesn't drip UPWARDS.

More likely, it's the oil pressure sending unit, intake gasket, or valve cover gaskets. (in that order of likelihood)

Rear main seal probably doesn't leak much, if at all. It's also BELOW all those other things, and people always like to get all wound up in doom & gloom about rear main seal by jumping to the worst possible conclusion they can then deciding oh well there's nothing they can do about it anyway then use that as an excuse to be lazy and do absolutely nothing at all not even look for the leak.

Don't be like THOSE people. Take the car to the quarter car wash; STERILIZE that whole part of the engine compartment with engine degreaser and plenty of blast; then EXAMINE EVERYTHING CLOSELY to see where the fresh oil is coming out from.

Might even just want to pre-emptively swap out the oil pressure sending unit... although, it's AWHOLEHELLUVALOT less unpleasant to do that AFTER cleaning the crusted-up caked-on funk of 10,000 ages that accumulates around a long-term unmaintained oil leak. Your call as to whether you want to clean it up first or wallow in the goo that hides everything you wish you could see so you can tell what you're doing.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:55 AM

I was thinking that

any ways ty
Ill look at it better tonight....

I did get a new used set of nice chrome chevy valvecovers and I just reused my old gaskets a few months ago trying to save the cash I spent 1500 on parts and a month of labour.
I will check what you said...

and I have to put rear main seal repair in it every oil change or it leaks really really bad.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Old 08-30-2016, 12:43 PM

geez ty
good to know
Old 08-30-2016, 01:15 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Convertable
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed BW T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

Clean it REAL good as stated above and get some OIL DYE from the auto parts store (Orielly's has it). It doesn't take much. Put half of the little bottle of that stuff in your oil and start the car. Let it run for 5 mins and shut it off. Get a U/V (black) light and look around the back of the engine for the luminescent dye. It will show up Green/Yellow under U/V light and is a big help in determining where it is starting at. Also just like above, it doesn't travel up hill so where ever it is the highest is the point I would be looking at. MTC's
It works fast so maybe check it after just one minute of run time to keep from chasing it all the way down the block.