Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

going nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going nuts

what we have 89 iroc z Camaro 5.7 tpi, a friend brought car in for us to restore took engine out and had it completely redone, once we got it back in and got to where we could start it, every thing and I mean everything is brand new except the following EGR Valve, EGR Solenoid, and the ECM. we have no vac leaks my problem is the car runs rough, misses, and has rich fuel so bad that it burns your eyes. please help me we still have a lot to do before march 15 this is going to be a show car thank you so much
Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: going nuts

If you didn't build the engine, how do you know it's been built properly?

Ignore everything that's been done and go back to basic diagnostics even it if means having the partially strip down the engine to check things. If the customer doesn't like that, tell them to take the engine and get it on a dyno to show that it runs properly first.

Just because someone else assembled the engine doesn't mean it's going to run properly.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

Can you define "completely redone?" Did that list of "everything" include heads, valves, cam, timing set, intake, injectors, distributor, crank, re-decking, or what?

If the injectors were changed, what flow rate are they? What is standing fuel pressure? Where is the base timing set?

The more information we get, the better the guesses.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:16 PM

the guy that redone the engine is a really good friend we where there when he done it I do believe we got it figured out its the alternator and the computer
Old 02-11-2017, 12:17 PM

everything was redone and I mean every thing