Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Replacing 3rd gen fuel sender with different type

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac TransAM
Engine: 400SBC 24x conversion
Transmission: T700r Stage2 Shiftkitted
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9 Bolt
Replacing 3rd gen fuel sender with different type

Hi All,

I think my fuel sender unit died whilst wiring up my new gauges and putting 12v through the resistance ground wire.

Unfortunately I'm in Australia, so a replacement is not readily available.

What is readily available is the vy/vz commodore fuel sender units, which use the 240-0 Ohm senders, which would match nicely to the VY commodore gauge cluster I've put in the car.

The problem I have is that the commodore unit has 3 lines coming from the tank, and the firebird has 4 lines.
I was under the assumption you had a breather line, a fuel line and a return line.... what would the 4th be for and is it necessary?

Alternatively, is there a way to repair the the resistor/diode on the old sender unit?
Or just change over the sender section of the assembly?

I've got a new 140GPH pump to put in, but just want to make sure I can do it all at once before ripping the ***-end out of the car to do it.

Also if someone can identify the lines in an image and where they go that would be awesome.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Replacing 3rd gen fuel sender with different type

Stuie your right about the three lines , one is the pressure feed to the fuel rail from the pump , one is the return back to the tank from the regulator , and the third one goes to the charcoal canister to trap gas fumes that would otherwise vent to the atmosphere , and then when the ECM tells it to a canister purge valve opens and the offending fumes are burned in the engine . So that brings us to line #4 . Line #4 goes to that little plastic valve that's supposed to be on a bracket on the car's left hand side (U.S. driver's side) right in the same general area that the fuel filter is found . This valve is a two way valve that will open if too much vacuum is built up in the tank to let air in , and will also open if there is too much pressure in the tank to vent some out . It is my understanding that in normal operation the charcoal can is supposed to the the primary vent and the weird little valve being a safety device whose opening pressure/vacuum is greater than the normal venting that would happen with the can . There are a bunch of threads kicking around here about taking that valve apart and cleaning it , and a few threads that start with "There is this hose hanging down near the fuel filter" in the case where the valve has gone missing .
Old 02-13-2017, 03:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 (5.7 TPI)
Transmission: auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt L.S.
Re: Replacing 3rd gen fuel sender with different type

I bought a new sender of Amazon.com, together with shipping and custom costs to Europe, price was fine...