Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Air Pump -- possible to leave on car and bypass w/different belt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts
Air Pump -- possible to leave on car and bypass w/different belt?

91 Camaro RS w/5.0 TBI. Air pump has a bad bearing, no emissions here since the car is too old, so not interested in replacing it. After reading the threads on here, it sounded like it was possible to just leave it on the car, and route a different belt around it so that it's not turning the pump, I'm but starting to think that's not the case. I bought a 968K6 belt, and found it to be about an inch to short no matter how I tried to route it while bypassing the air pump completely.

Do I have to actually remove the pump from the car to use the 968K6 belt? Looks like a PITA if that's the case, since the a/c compressor has to come out, and apparently a bunch of lines have to be plugged. Was hoping to just leave everything in place and route the belt away from it if possible.

Also, am I going to have a constant check engine light if the air pump is not hooked up?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: Air Pump -- possible to leave on car and bypass w/different belt?

they sell a delete pulley for around $60. I don't believe its possible to route the belt without a pump/pulley there.

and no, removing it will not trigger a CEL.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Air Pump -- possible to leave on car and bypass w/different belt?

You don't need to remove the AC compressor to remove the smog pump though, just the pipe at the rear and the pulley. Then just the locating bolts