Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

84 TA, error code, problem video within!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI w/ extras !
Transmission: 700R4
84 TA, error code, problem video within!

Hey guys,

I seem to be taking 1 step forward then 2 back with this car.

After doing lots of work to get it running good, most recently getting the choke to work its now doing something else, heres a video first of all...

It idles fine but if you rev the engine it sounds like a huge vacuum leak, unless that is just the carb sucking air in ? im sure it wasnt that loud before though. if i give the throttle a sharp blip the engine wants to cut out, but if i slowly press it and increase the RPM's its ok as you can see in the video.

Also at the same time the check engine light came on which it hasnt done since i got the car, read the code and its a code 34.

i dont know if something is wrong with the search function on here but everytime ive tried to search i just get a list of random posts that have nothing to do with error codes ! anyway i goggled it and it says its something to do with a vacuum sensor circuit on an 84 car ? Ive got no idea where that is or where to start so any help would be great.

I did go round the engine bay feeling for vacuum leaks but all the hoses seemed fine and the air noise just sounded like it was coming from the carb.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:19 AM

Re: 84 TA, error code, problem video within!

Anyone?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 HO
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Our 84 with carb sounded like that with a plugged fuel filter. I changed it when I rebuilt the carb, less than 100 miles it started to do that. I replaced filter and ran great for awhile. Third filter I cut open and it was packed. Tank was rusting out and had to be replaced.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM

It's a new carb with a new filter. Never driven just started up in the garage while working on it.

I notice some people have those clear glass filters in the engine bay. Do you just remove the paper type one in the front of the carb and use one of these somewhere along the fuel feed line ?

I've been running the engine again today and I back it right out of the garage, put it in drive and put my foot down. There was a Hesitation where I thought it was going to stall then it shot forward lol.

I've also noticed a bit of a kink in the fuel hose. It's not one continuous pipe from the pump to the front of the carb, there is a small section of hose near the top and I'm wondering if it's not getting enough fuel when reving??
Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4:10

Kiss principal; Tighten all the screws holding down the top of the carburetor and then the car to the intake. Gaskets shrink.