Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Weird 2.8l issue- Unexplained hissing and SES light on

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
Weird 2.8l issue- Unexplained hissing and SES light on

Hey guys, long story short I was trying to fix a leaking CSI line and decided to just swap out my 2.8 fuel rail for a spare 3.1 fuel rail as a temporary fix, before realizing it the ECM wouldn't be happy with that. I noticed for some reason there was a hissing noise with the key turned to ON, along with my SES light on. I swapped back in my 2.8 fuel rail and same story. It looked like one of my injectors was leaking at the rail, so I bought all new o-rings and I can't see any leaks anywhere. I'm stumped now! Even if I was still having a fuel pressure leak, what's with the SES light? It's funny that it works now, but not when I try to pull trouble codes. Any ideas guys?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:26 PM

Re: Weird 2.8l issue- Unexplained hissing and SES light on

Small update- I just pulled trouble codes beautifully, blinked 12 on and on and nothing else. I was jumping the wrong terminals before haha :P
Not sure that's going to be much help tho, I undid the battery to charge it so any previous codes are gone, still get an SES on key ON and still making the hiss, but now followed by a small, almost vibrating sound. And sometimes no hiss!
Going to look at things that cause a SES light but no codes now...

Last edited by LiveIt!; 03-19-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:45 PM

Re: Weird 2.8l issue- Unexplained hissing and SES light on

Whatever it was doesn't seem to bother the engine too much, fired right up and actually idled pretty well considering the vacuum leaks I know I have! A bit of a smokey start tho haha. I didn't see if the SES went off when driving, but I tried to pull codes and just got 12's again, and she fired right back up about 5 times. Not going out of the yard until the hissing is resolved though...