Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

85 Z28 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Z28 not starting

Hello TGO, I'm not a car guy so bare with me please. My 85 Z28 is not starting. Had a full tune up and a new starter put in(LS1).

Before the tune up I had to jump start it to get it running almost every time I wanted to turn it on. It used to putt out when I turned it off. The check engine light came on after about 15 to 20 mins of driving and when I turn her off and on the light was gone then came back about 5 to 10 mins of idlng or driving.

After the tune up it was working for about a week on about 10 minute trips less than 5 miles when I let my mom take it to work. I finally took it to my job which is about 20 miles away 20-30 mins depending on traffic. Literally one trip to work and one back from work. And alsowhen I was driving back from work i had my music on blast, and the radio reset, all lights dimmed when i was rolling my window down. That next morning is when I tried to start the car and all I heard was clicking. I jump started it and I was good until I turned it off.

Is there something wrong with the starter? Do I need a more powerful alternator? The mechanic put weak *** 78A in it and overcharged me. And does anybody have suggestions on a good one for a v belt? And on top of that, how do I change the belts to this 4 belt system?

Please TGO, you're my only hope.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 PM

Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4:10
Re: 85 Z28 not starting

Check your connections to make certain that they're tight. Try another battery to see if it cures your problem.

Good Luck
Old 05-19-2017, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ja85z28
Check your connections to make certain that they're tight. Try another battery to see if it cures your problem.

Good Luck
During the time I've had this car, I've changed the battery 3 times and replaced the terminals.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 AM

You may want to check the operation of your alternator and its connections.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by hockeyman48
You may want to check the operation of your alternator and its connections.
What does that mean? And what am I looking for when I look at the connections?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

The output of the alternator needs to be measured while the engine is running. It should be producing around 14.1 volts once the battery has initially recharged from starting the engine and the engine (and alternator) has reached normal operating temperature. Output voltage should be measured directly at the alternator output stud, then compared to the voltage measured at the battery terminals. Any difference in these voltage readings can indicate connection problems.

Electrical connections have one purpose - To pass electrons through a circuit. In order for this to happen the metal parts of the connection must be in intimate contact. Anything which interferes with this contact will impede electron flow. Oxidation, corrosion, contaminants, and carbon pitting will affect this. Connections need to be clean and tight.