Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine Harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am
Engine: 357 SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73, Torsen Diff
Engine Harness

Hi Guys,

So I was rather foolish when I pulled the wiring harness off my car. I took photos of everything, but I did a terrible job and didn't label anything.

So, I'm hoping someone can help me out. The harness is from an 84 L69.

Lots of pictures. Please bear with me child-like drawing\writing capability.

A) Brake Prop Valve Switch
B)
C)
D) Cowl Induction Solenoid
E)
F) A/C Compressor
G) A/C Compressor
H) Temp Gauge Sender
I) Alternator
J) Knock Sensor
K)
L)
M)
N)
O)
P) Distributor
Q) Starter
R) Starter
S) Starter
T) Starter
U) Starter

Wires near the C100 block. I'm pretty sure these all plug into relays and what not.

Last edited by Jorlain; 06-20-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:27 PM

Re: Engine Harness

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI

If you are looking to install into the car one of the easiest ways to identify the plugs is to find a couple odd shaped ones to match up under the hood so you get an idea of the route the different parts of the harness have to go, then start following the wires. Since almost all the plugs are different it can actually come together on its own easier than you would think. Especially since the wires are basically just as long as they need to be and not much extra.

Now vacuum lines on the other hand...
Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 PM

Some of the wiring is a bit on the crispy side, broken, faded, etc. I'm hoping to rework it a bit. Maybe lengthen some wires marginally to aid cable management, etc. I'll also need to get a few pigtails.

I laid it in the engine bay earlier to help figure some things out. Of course, all I have at the moment is the engine, transmission, and water pump in the bay right now, so it didn't help overly much. I need to paint the brackets and pullies still. Its been rainy so I thought I might be able to get the harness ready to go while I wait for a good time.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

I'll take a crack at it...

A) Brake prop valve switch
D) Cowl induction solenoid?
F) A/C compressor
G) A/C compressor
H) Temp gauge sender
I) Alternator
J) Knock sensor
N) oil pressure switch? or sender?
P) Distributor
Q-U) Starter

Chances are fair there are a couple relays by the brake booster. On the later cars the wiper washer pump and wiper motor are wired through the engine harness. Usually the HVAC harness will tap in somewhere on the passenger's side.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI

C & E) Relays by brake booster

Drew covered all the others I recognize
Old 06-17-2017, 12:33 PM

After some investigation, I think N is for the wiper motor.

Thanks for the assist, guys!

In other news, the starter wires are either burnt off or have been cut (R, S, T, U). Does anyone know offhand what gauge wires these are? So, where specifically they go?

U & T go to the terminals on the starter, I believe. There's another wire that comes off of U that I don't know where it goes. I also have no idea where R and S go. Do they go to the same terminal as S?
Old 06-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Beg, borrow, or steal copies of the wiring diagrams from the 1984 Firebird shop manual. For that matter, the diagrams back that far kinda start to slip into the era when they were line drawings and everything starts to blend in... Maybe even an Alldata or Mitchell diagram would be better...

Anyway, the starter wires are going to be fusible links. You'll want to replace the aged links with new fusible links. Think of fusible links as extra heavy duty in-line fuses. They power everything in the car, with the positive post of the starter acting like a junction block. They need to be repaired right, with new fusible link wire, or you could have an electrical fire, etc on your hands.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:09 PM

Can anyone identify what each of these are for? These are located above the C100 where you would normally have your fuel pump relay, etc.

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 06-18-2017, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Left rear is the Electronic Spark Control box, part of the knock sensor system. The far right is a MAP, BAP, etc depending on how it's connected, etc, basically a pressure sensor the computer uses to try to adjust the carb. The thing in the middle top, is the switch for the cowl induction.

The other two are relays. The fan on the HO is electric right? One probably is for that... Same question on the fuel pump, the HO is electric right?

So those are my best educated guesses...
Old 06-18-2017, 10:06 PM

Thanks, Drew!

It does indeed have an electric fan. I switched over to an independent controller, though, so I can probably tuck that away.

Most L69s, as far as I've read, were retrofitted with an in-tank electric pump. My car, however, was not. When I pulled the tank there was no in-tank pump (or wiring for one, just two wires).
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 AM

Just to add; I did a serpentine swap also when installing the new engine, so I need to iron out the changes for the Alternator and AC system. It appears that I need to switch to a newer 3-pin pigtail for the alternator, rather than the 2-wire. I haven't really looked into what needs to change with the AC yet.

On a side note, the Alternator terminal is awfully close to my valve cover. I'd say it's only got about 1/4" to 3/8" clearance. Should I be concerned? I feel like I should insulate this somehow.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

The front and rear halves of the alternator case can be re-clocked by loosening the case screws and carefully turning. Just don't get them too far apart or the brushes will pop out.

The other frequent cause of problems is some remanned alternators have a 90* adapter on the charging post. In some cases the adapter can be removed to gain some clearance.

The A/C compressors all have a 2 pin clutch and some have a switch in the back. The clutch may just require a connector change. The switch may or may not need to be intalled or connected, depending on how the system is configured.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:29 AM

I soldered in new 14-gauge fusible links on R and U. I assume that these used to be connected at the O-shaped terminal previously (unsure though, since they obviously were broke, melted, cut, or whatever separated them), so I'm guessing they go to the same terminal.

Just to make sure I don't melt anything down or kill my ministarter - R & U go to the Motor side terminal, T goes to the Switch terminal, and a straight run from the battery goes to the BATT terminal. Does that sound right? Would anyone happen to know what gauge\length I need for the battery cables? I'm guessing 2 AWG but I'd like to be sure.

Additionally, with the alternator cable; the way it was hooked up before, was that the 2 wire harness plugged into the alternator, and then a presumably 12v wire came back out of the harness and screwed onto a terminal on the alternator. Do I still do that with the adapter harness? Or should that be a separate run to the battery? Or both?

Edit: Does anyone know where the heck S is supposed to go? Seems like it angles back upwards but then it was obviously destroyed. Fan relay, perhaps? It's the same gauge as R.

Thanks for all the help, guys. For some reason I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the wiring.

Mike
Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 AM

Additional questions; is it unsafe to test the fan by hooking it directly up to a battery rather than through a relay? I just want to make sure it works before I start wiring everything up. Also, is it just the upper fan mount that hold the radiator and AC condenser in place? Radiator sits in quite tightly, no problem. AC condenser its sort of wobbly though.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:56 PM

I'm starting to suspect that this harness isn't original to the car. Things just don't match up.

The tach wire is white, rather than black (according to the 84 TA L69 schematic). There's a 3 wire oil pressure sender\switch (N) with some other wires coming back out of it to go to God knows what, rather than the 1-wire that I was looking for.

Frustration.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 AM

Just to update, I did get everything ironed out with wiring, aside from the HVAC system, which leads into my next project.

My HVAC system is all from a 90 Formula. Obviously, there is some mismatch from my 84 harness (I'm assuming it's just power since the wiring in question comes from the engine harness) to the 90 HVAC harness. I do have pigtails from my old 84 HVAC harness. I've done some searching, but I'm really only finding 4th gen swaps. It's possible my search-fu isn't strong today. My thought is to snip the 90 pigtails and solder in my 84 pigtails so that it matches the rest of the harness.

I'm waiting for the weather\pollen to balance out a bit so I can get back to painting, so I figured this was a good side project to work on in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!
Mike