Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Rear Drum Brakes Wearing Faster than front discs

Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Drum Brakes Wearing Faster than front discs

It's about time for inspection on my daily driver 2009 Nissan Versa, not my GTA. The Nissan forums don't really have any good info on this, so I thought I'd ask here, where there is lots of knowledge.

I checked the brake pads and shoes, and noticed the shoes were down to 1/16 inch in some spots! Pretty low. Front disc pads are still at least 1/8 inch all around.

Both drums came off easily. Lots of dust inside.

Could the mechanic have screwed up the rear brakes during the last inspection? I remember the brakes squealed when I applied them while I backed out of the inspection station. But I drove on, forward, and the squeal went away. Later it came back, and only in reverse. The car rolls easily in neutral on a slight slope, both directions, so nothing seems to be sticking.

When I checked the rears I noticed the dirt had been disturbed on the adjuster splines. Could the mechanic have adjusted the brakes somehow to wear out faster? Hope I am just paranoid. But why would the rear brakes wear out sooner than the fronts? It's supposed to be the other way around.

I read somewhere on the internet that drum brakes could be adjusted too "tight" and wear out faster, but I don't see how, since the car rolls in neutral.

Could he have messed with the proportioning valve?

I should mention that the brakes are all original and the car has 89,000 miles on it. First 70,000 were mostly highway. Last 19,000 are city.

Thanks for any input !
Old 06-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Rear Drum Brakes Wearing Faster than front discs

If he adjusted the brakes too tight, yes, they would have worn down faster, but, if you got almost 90,000 miles out of them, you are doing good anyway.

Proportioning valve isn't adjustable.

I like to feel just a little bit of drag on drum brakes when adjusting them. The rear adjustment pretty much controls pedal travel before something start happening.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Rear Drum Brakes Wearing Faster than front discs

Ploegi,

Thanks for the response! I'm thinking of replacing these shoes myself, but I'm not too confident about it. I tried it on a Caprice a few years ago and it was very awkward.

Maybe I'll see if the local community college auto mechanic class would do it for cheap.

Search this Thread