Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Which Oil Pressure Sensor, AC Delco D1829 or D8032?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end
Which Oil Pressure Sensor, AC Delco D1829 or D8032?

Hey all so im going to replace my Oil Pressure Sensor as it looks like its source of my leak ( hopefully not dizzy). So im going to replace it.

This is for originally a 88 firebird 5.0 TBI and on summit it shows Ac Delco D1829 as the replacement part, but on rockauto it shows D8032 as the replacement part.

Has anyone bought either of these or knows which one to go with?

Also, when replacing the part, is it going to spray oil all over me when i take the sensor off? Should i drain oil, then replace? Safe to replace with oil still in pan? any tricks to the job?

Thanks all for help and input.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Which Oil Pressure Sensor, AC Delco D1829 or D8032?

Can't tell you which SU is right; my guess would be the lower part # but that's just a guess.

However, as to the other questions, oil will not spray as long as the engine isn't running. The oil will stay in the pan. Best advice I can give that resembles a "trick" is, be REAL CAREFUL not to break off the brass fitting thing that it screws into: use an open-end wrench and support the fitting CAREFULLY as you unscrew the old one and tighten the new one, then don't get too carried away about how tight the new one is... let the thread sealer do its job instead of trying to gorilla it.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Can't tell you which SU is right; my guess would be the lower part # but that's just a guess.

However, as to the other questions, oil will not spray as long as the engine isn't running. The oil will stay in the pan. Best advice I can give that resembles a "trick" is, be REAL CAREFUL not to break off the brass fitting thing that it screws into: use an open-end wrench and support the fitting CAREFULLY as you unscrew the old one and tighten the new one, then don't get too carried away about how tight the new one is... let the thread sealer do its job instead of trying to gorilla it.
Ok sounds good, i usually have a problem of over tightening things so thanks for the heads up...

I will update this thread when i get the new sensor and install it for future references about D1829 fitting for the 305 TBI.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Ok so I've had the Ac Delco D1829 Oil Pressure sensor on my car since friday. No problems on installation. One thing i would note for first timers like myself is you will most likely need to loosen the stock oil pressure sensor on the nut by the threads itself, not by the electrical connector. When doing mine i started by turning at the electrical connector using a 3/4" wrench, while holding the brass fitting on the block with a 15mm wrench . It started unscrewing at the threads, but then after me turning and turning and realizing i wasnt going any where i noticed that the oil pressure sensor housing was just turning around the nut and threads, but they were stuck in the brass fitting. So i grabbed a 9/16" wrench (while still holding the brass fitting with a 15mm wrench) and turned at the point shown in the picture below, and got the original sensor out.

So far i've noticed that this sensor is showing more change ( 'showing') in oil pressure with engine load, while my old one would just stay pegged around 45-50. I remember years back that it would change as is it does now with this new sensor so i think the old one went bad. Not sure if i've stopped the oil leak yet.

Future reference, the AC-Delco D1829 is a direct replacement for the 305 5.0 TBI (L03)

Old 07-17-2017, 06:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Old 07-17-2017, 07:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Wasn't the difference between the two due to the way some gauges read the pressure? Some gauges max at 60psi, another gauge at 80psi?

Trying to remember. Because with my LT1 swap and the long tubes I had to convert away from the oil filter mounted unit. So ended up with the bell sensor like pictured above. Gage reads slow, but I can't remember which unit I ended up buying.