Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Timing maintenance & Timing Cover Options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98(5.7 L TPI)
Transmission: 700r4(A4)
Axle/Gears: G80 RPO, 3:23s, Auburn Racer's Diff
Timing maintenance & Timing Cover Options?

I'm having the timing, seal, chain and 2 gears replaced on my 1991 L98.

What other maintenance should be done at this time? Does my motor have a cam button? If so, should it be replaced? What about the damper and harmonic balancer? Anything else?

I am also interested in upgrading the timing cover. I don't like chrome. I haven't read the best reviews of the Edelbrock cover. I heard the Spectre option is of worse quality than the original. But, I did find a couple of Milodon covers.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/mil-65501/reviews/

This one is steel, not aluminum. But, I like the color, since it matches my oil pan. Will that gold plating stay on, or will it come off or rust off like chrome? Also, is it compatible with my motor? There seems to be a difference in covers from pre-1986 and 1987+.

I also found this cover.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/mil-14805

I hate the design on it, but it's real aluminum. Is this one compatible with my motor?

Does anyone know of any other options?

Thanks!
Bill
Old 08-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Timing maintenance & Timing Cover Options?

As far as "other maintenance", there's always the usual "mightaswells" on the front of the motor... water pump, drain & flush the coolant, hoses, belts, etc.

The damper IS the harmonic balancer. 2 names that mean the same part. Yes you "could" replace it; especially if the rubber part of it is showing signs of age.

No your motor doesn't have a cam button. Or at least, didn't come with one.

The gold irridite is about the same in the rust department as chrome... the tiniest hole, and the iron underneath rusts. It's a good base for paint however.

Yes that cover is "compatible" with your motor. There was no change in the TC in the years you mention; or for that matter, any significant change between 1955 and 1995. However, it doesn't have the timing tab that matches the mark on your crank damper, which would be near the center right above the damper; that being the only change from 55 - 95. In 96 it became plastic instead of sheet metal and a crank pos sensor was added.

The timing cover is just a ... cover. Not sure how any of that stuff could be considered an "upgrade". Largely a waste of money. Prolly a wiser idea to clean up your stock one, maybe paint it if it needs it, and put it back.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars
Re: Timing maintenance & Timing Cover Options?

Use your stock cover. Like sofa said, clean & paint if necessary.
Once the water pump goes on, how much of it do you see? Only the top edge.