Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

A couple minor yet annoying issues I'd like to fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
A couple minor yet annoying issues I'd like to fix

1989 iroc 350 tpi. Just bought it from my grandpa after he had it sitting for the past few years because it had an issue with not wanting to start most of the time. When he first bought it in 08 he loved it, drove it all the time, and took excellent care of it. To make a long story short, the no start issue got progressively worse, gave up on it because he had too many other projects and this was not intended to be a project car and after a couple years of expressing interest in it he finally decided it was time to free up space in his garage.

When I got it I brought it home, replaced the original injectors with the bosch 3s and the car has ran good since. Now to the issues.

1) At the initial start up of the day it has a slightly extended crank time, 3 or 4 seconds before it catches, and then idles up like normal but then boggs down and dies right away. I can put my foot on the gas and hold the idle in the 2 to 3k rpm range for a few seconds though and when I let off it doesn't die. After this initial start up, anytime within basically the rest of the day, i can start it up and it's perfectly fine, doesn't try to die or anything until it sits over night or anytime over about 10 hours or so.

2) When it is still cold for the first 3-5 minutes of the first start up of the day the the throttle response is near perfect. Hit the throttle as quick as possible as short as possible and it reacts right on time. Anytime after the first few minutes of the first start up of the day the throttle response develops a lag. Now it's not anything that makes it impossible to drive and if it was a daily driver i imagine I'd rarely ever even notice the issue because taking off normal or accelerating at all in a slow smooth manner it has no lag. It's only when you want to punch it and even then it's only maybe a half a second or less.

Along with the new injectors I've replaced the spark plugs, put in new plenum and runner gaskets, all new gaskets in the throttle body as well as cleaned it up real good and replaced the iac. I set the tps to .6, timing was perfect at 6* w/est disconnected, advanced it to about 9* and didn't make any difference.

My grandpa replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, wires, cts, iat, icm, has an msd coil.

I've talked to a couple shops around town and they've both told me it sounds like a maf issue. I just wanted to get some input from some experienced people on the site and see what you think. Like I said, runs great otherwise besides those 2 annoying issues. Maybe it sounds like something you've seen before.