Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ready for road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:05 PM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Ready for road trip?

Hey guys...okay so some questions. First of all I own a 87 iroc-z with 70K on it. I bought the overall well kept car 5 months ago and since then rebuilt the top end, and went thru a lot of other things on the car. The entire cooling system has been gone thru tested and replaced things along with other minor repairs to the suspension etc. The car runs great! Of course I haven't done a brake fluid flush, rear diff or anything with the tranny. So in the next couple of weeks me and my gf are going about 3 hours north to visit my grandma and wanted to take the car. I'm obviously a younger guy on here (29) and was not old enough when these cars were more prevalent to understand there behaviors on road trips etc. Are these cars made for long steady HOT highway drives at a steady 70 mph for hours at a time???

Also...one more small thing...so if driven the car long on the highway locally. Like u know a solid 30 minutes...well sometimes when I would come to a stop I smelled kind of a burning smell??? The car does not drip a bit of oil! Rear main seal has been replaced...I did have a slight leak on the small bypass u shape coolant hose under the intake and recently got it fixed...but anyone have any idea what it Is? It's not the tranny or rear diff gears getting hot is it? I don't think it's the brakes...dosent quite smell like that. And it goes away once I get moving AND does not seem to come back! Can't smell it around town...only on long highway stretches...
Old 08-16-2017, 08:32 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
Re: Ready for road trip?

Make sure your air dam is in place on those highways, after all that work I say hit the road

can u describe the smell any better? Sweet? Burnt? Eggs? Sure it's not just that "hot car" smell?

Best of luck on the trip,get out and enjoy that IROC-Z!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 PM
On Probation

Originally Posted by LiveIt!
Make sure your air dam is in place on those highways, after all that work I say hit the road

can u describe the smell any better? Sweet? Burnt? Eggs? Sure it's not just that "hot car" smell?

Best of luck on the trip,get out and enjoy that IROC-Z!
Naw...it just has that warm engine smell kinda...it ain't sweet...its if anything a metallic smell.
..yeah...theres been a lot of work done to it that's for sure...a lot...Im going to post lots of pics of the car and every single thing that has been replaced in the next week on here...not that anyone cares but u know...w/e lol
Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P

Haha looking forward to it man, enjoy your ride!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 AM
On Probation

Originally Posted by LiveIt!
Haha looking forward to it man, enjoy your ride!
Yeah man, on the way back were going to the big IMSA weathertech challenge at BIT. that's all the GT classes. Porsches, Ferraris vets etc. I go almost every year...but this time in style!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

" Are these cars made for long steady HOT highway drives at a steady 70 mph for hours at a time???"

Yes, if it's maintained and it sounds like it is.
Story.....
Back in 1990, my fiance(wife now)and I, took my 88 5.7 GTA from California to Georgia, to Pennsylvania,to Arkansas,to Las Vegas, and back to California. A total of 7500 miles in 30 days with speeds of 70-80 and temps from 80-100 in July.
Not a single issue.
They are/where sorta dependable. Like I said, if maintained.

Good luck on your trip!!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:09 AM
On Probation

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
" Are these cars made for long steady HOT highway drives at a steady 70 mph for hours at a time???"

Yes, if it's maintained and it sounds like it is.
Story.....
Back in 1990, my fiance(wife now)and I, took my 88 5.7 GTA from California to Georgia, to Pennsylvania,to Arkansas,to Las Vegas, and back to California. A total of 7500 miles in 30 days with speeds of 70-80 and temps from 80-100 in July.
Not a single issue.
They are/where sorta dependable. Like I said, if maintained.

Good luck on your trip!!
That's awesome man...cool story I like those kinds
Old 08-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

I drive mine several times a year 2 hours or more down to the gulf coast at 70mph running 2000RPM and car never gets above 160degrees and will usually knock down 25+ mpg. I love driving it you can see everything with all that glass. Some newer cars ive drove it seems like you cant see out of them.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 67 ******mobile
Engine: 385 Solid roller
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

If it isnt leaking or running warm, the basics meaning hoses, lines etc are in good shape dont see why you couldnt....if its good for a steady 30 min drive think youre Ok.

Sometimes the TPI can seep some oil from the rear corners of the china wall, ck your oil pressure sending unit and valve covers to make sure they arent dripping oil on the exh.