Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

PLEASE HELP ! MYSTERY STALLING PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP ! MYSTERY STALLING PROBLEM

I HAVE AN 88 CAMARO Z28 IROCZ CONVERTIBLE, LOW MILES. FOR 15 YEARS IT HAS HAD A MYSTERY STALLING PROBLEM, ITS BEEN TO MULTIPLE DEALERS, AND "THE BEST" MECHANICS IN NEW JERSEY AND PA. IVE SPENT 6 THOUSAND DOLLARS OVER PAST TEN YEARS TRYING TO GET THE PROBLEM FIXED , EVERY TIME IT GOES TO A SHOP THEY REPLACE PARTS AND WHEN I LEAVE IT STALLS AGAIN!!!!! READY TO BURN THE CAR!!!! THE ENGINE HAS ALSO BEEN REBUILT , STEREO AND ALARM YANKED OUT TO ELIMINATE PROBLEMS. SO THE PROBLEM: CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME , VERY RANDOM, USUALLY STALLS ON TURNS OR AT A LIGHT, YOU CAN TELL IT WANTS TO STALL SOMETIMES WHEN DRIVING BUT PUSHES THRU IT AND KEEPS GOING. WHEN IT STALLS IT IMMEDIATLEY CAN BE PUT IN NEUTRAL AND RESTARTED. IT CAN STALL 5 TIMES ON A 5 MINUTE TRIP OR NOT STALL AT ALL ON A TEN MINUTE TRIP. IF IM LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO COME ON ,IT WILL RUN PERFECT, I COULD DRIVE ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND BACK WITHOUT IT STALLING, BUT IF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT ON ITS A DEATH TRAP AND COULD STALL AT ANY SECOND!!! THE CODE THAT COMES UP IS MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR , HAD IT REPLACED 4 TIMES BY DIFFERENT DEALERS AND MECHANICS AND MY SELF, NEVER SOLVES THE PROBLEM. ONE MECHANIC SAID THERE IS A WIRE THAT HEATS UP TO BURN OFF WHEN THE CAR GETS TURNED OFF AND THE SIGNAL WAS BEING SENT BUT THE WIRE WAS NEVER ACTUALLY IGNITING TO BURN OFF THE RESIDUES. AFTER HE FOUND THAT, IT RAN PERFECT FOR A WEEK AND THEN STARTED THE SAME 15 YEAR PROBLEM AGAIN , I TOOK IT BACK TO HIM BUT HE SAID IT WAS STILL BURNING OFF!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 09-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: PLEASE HELP ! MYSTERY STALLING PROBLEM

I would try to help but your post is all but impossible to read. I think your computer may be defective.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Check your fuel pressure; it should be a consistent 40 lbs. Have you changed the fuel filter?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 PM

I had a similar issue. Car was stalling, code 36 - MAF. Replaced with an after-market MAF (standard ignition brand). Went through 3 MAFs til we found one that helped. Warning sign! Issue got better, but not solved. Brought to mechanic, he found a Chevy tech bulletin somewhere that stated the burnoff relay may trigger the same code. He replaced that relay for me. It has always been a thing the car does, particularly in the Spring when I first start driving her again. The more I drive it, the better it starts up. A few weeks ago it stalled on me while driving it, and I barely made it home; stalling at every stop sign and red light along the way. I had enough. Considering the fuel pump works, and the car runs rich, it only made sense that it is still the MAF. I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever, but I decided the MAF seems easy enough to replace, I'll do it myself, but I'll invest in a high end or OEM / Bosch MAF. And so I did, the car is running better than ever, solid at idle, and no more Service Engine light. I have read so many forums about the stalling, and am convinced it's the after-market crap MAFs made in Mexico. I made a couple of videos to document the process a bit. They are personal and have my special needs son in the video, so they are not meant to be technically savvy, just something fun my son and I did (he's obsessed with the Camaro). But I put these out there in case they can help anyone figure out this issue.

Before -

During & After MAF replacement: