Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

No juice to fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No juice to fuel pump

I have a 92 RS 3.1 V6.
A while back I went to the store and when I tried to crank it to go home it wouldn't start. The starter engaged but wouldnt turn over, I then noticed the lack of the fuel pump hum. Here is everything I have done so far, most after hours of reading these and other forums. Removed and replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, relay switch, and verified the fuel pump fuse in the right fender was good. Yesterday I bought a multimeter.
battery = 12v fuse connection = 12v the relay switch point that I thought was for the pump =12v, the one next to it = 0v these are the ones in the engine compartment just in front of driver. the 2 original releys check good as well as the new one, I switched these around several times to eliminate that its a switch issue, the fender fuse is also good. The pump still has no power, Im checking it at the plug connection point in front of the gas tank (removed tank).
With the keys in the ignition, would both relay switch locations have power? If so, I would have to assume the fender fuse is between the battery and the switch relay point and the dead one is the fuel pump one. Where would the break be? A wire or another fuse?
If one of the switch relay points is supposed to be dead with key in ignition then the fuel pump relay is the live one, where could that issue be?

I've had this thing since it was new, lots of personal history with it. I want it back on the road.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42
Re: No juice to fuel pump

Get out your multimeter and fuel-pressure test gauge.

http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...96b43f80386616

Old 10-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: No juice to fuel pump

I have replaced both switches and also ran a wire to the fuel pump priming wire. The pump ran when using the priming wire but still will not without it,