Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

RIGHT PLACE TO POST? THOUGHTS ON BIO FUELS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23
RIGHT PLACE TO POST? THOUGHTS ON BIO FUELS?

So I'm flipping channels for something to watch and I come across this thing on discovery channel about bio fuel. After about 20 minutes I'm ready to throw the remote at the TV! I really don't wanna bring any sort of politics into any discussion on this board, but... Here's my problem with this bio fuel crap... If us taxpayers weren't subsidising it, it wouldn't be cost effective! I've read several tech articles on the power potential of e85 over standard gas, and I'm OK with the potential performance improvements. But the idea that it's cost and environmentally effective is a farce! Yea, as somebody that grew up on a farm and lives in a farm community, I'd love to be able to plant 100 acres of corn a year on my dad's place and make my own gas. Problem is when I do the math it'd be at least a dollar more a gallon for me to produce than what I can go to the gas station and buy a gallon of 93 octane for if the government isn't subsidising it. Just curious as to what my fellow Motorheads think...
Old 11-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 753 Likes on 579 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open
Re: RIGHT PLACE TO POST? THOUGHTS ON BIO FUELS?

Bio fuel yes, from grown crops no.

They are working on algae that grows on a heavy diet of C02, and a few other things (cellulosic ethanol from other waste bio products). They can make fuel from the algae. Burned in a sufficiently efficient internal combustion engine, they can (theoretically) be environment neutral. I think that seems smart.

There were several interesting articles in the SAE Automotive Engineering magazine this past month (October issue), from:

- an editorial pointing out the substantial inadequacy of the current electric grid to handle plug in EVs. In reference to the Detroit regions electric grid, Ed. asks a local utility supplier senior engineer "how would the grid perform today if EV sales rapidly escalate and demand for charging increases significantly?" The engineers answer, "Let me put it this way. If you buy a Chevy Bolt or Tesla today and your the only one on your block who's charging an EV, the local grid can handle it. But if 2 or 3 of your neighbors buy an EV, and that's multiplied across thousands of blocks in dozens of towns, the local grid would be pushed to the brink of collapse. No way are we prepared for electric cars." Asking an engineer at the Bosch stand at the Frankfort auto show if the European grid would be ready to meet the mandate by some EU politicians to begin banning gas and diesel cars by 2040, he answers "Not unless we commit to massive re-engineering of our network for power generation and distribution. It will cost BILLIONS and take DECADES."

The same issue has a lengthy article about Mazda's first in the industry gas engine with compression combustion, or Spark Controlled Compression Ignition (SpCCI). This is the highly efficient engine envisioned for use with the algae derived fuel.

Lastly, a nice side bar reminding everyone that GM was way out front in studying this technology, and would likely have been first with it in production, if it were not for the government-lead bankruptcy, which came with the demands that GM dump Pontiac, and the study of efficient gas engines in favor of electric cars, among other directives. Thanks Uncle Sam.

So yes, lots of neat things going on, lots of SCARY things going on.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Scary is and understatement, lol! Wait till they perfect self driving cars and the government steps in and says "we can't let people drive their own cars any more it's too dangerous!" I'm all about not"killing the planet", but the electric car pushers crack me up. Um, where does our electric come from, duh. Talking about electric cars... Anybody see the Tesla guy unveil his new prototype? 0-60 in under 2 seconds?! And his quote about putting the smackdown on gas powered vehicles, lol!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P

What fun is it going 0-60 without any engine noise?