Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Information on cruise control vacuum line

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Information on cruise control vacuum line

I have a 1990 Camaro 5.0 tbi; someone worked on my car and all the vacuum lines going from the throttle body are correct except for the one going from the front driver side throttle body to air cleaner instead it is routed to a line that runs towards passenger side then goes down all the block under the car and towards drive side going up and attaches to the cruise control vacuum line next to the charcoal canister. My question is does anyone have a schematic for the cruise control vacuum line or do they know where the lines run to from the cruise control vacuum line?
Old 07-04-2018, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Information on cruise control vacuum line

Well... You should have a Sphere of Destiny under the driver's side battery tray. The vacuum line comes up by the horns, and hit's a T, one side of the T splits off to the cruise control servo. The other side of the T runs back over the inner fender, behind the the brake booster, and across the firewall to the area around the distributor, where it joins up with another three way fitting. One branch goes to the Heater/A/C harness, and the other goes to a vacuum source at the engine.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4

the second split is the one I'm having problems routing. At the second location I see the three way split that goes towards the C.C.V.L. then it goes down the block assumingly to the vacuum source on the engine. What I'm trying to route is the A/C harness line, that line currently travels from the TBI which is suppose to go to the air cleaner. Or if you have a schematic that shows how those lines run would be great.

Last edited by lichowid91; 07-05-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

See now the funny thing is I can show you a diagram for TPI or the V6 that shows were it connects to the plenum, but I don't see a diagram in the 91 Camaro Service Manual that shows the TBI. Now to be completely fair, TBI is not at all my thing, and it's entirely possible that the TPI and MPFI sections of my book organized a posse and ran everything relevant to TBI out of their neighborhood.

Like I said, TBI isn't really my thing, and I haven't laid eyes on one in at least a decade, but I'm pretty sure there's a vacuum port actually ON the intake back by the distributor/coil, etc. But again, it's really not my "thing".

Maybe this port in this grainy photo of the last TBI intake I ever touched, long since sold on Ebay...