Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

SBC timing cover help please

Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SBC timing cover help please

Had to replace the cam and lifters in my sons camaro. It's an 84 350. Anyhow, I pulled the timing cover relatively easy. Did not have to touch the oil pan. Now trying to get the cover back on??? It has that thick rubber seal and its impossible `to get the cover on. I hate to begin loosening oil pan bolts, gonna create another issue. Any advice or help?? I did trim the two corners of the cover as many do
Old 05-17-2019, 09:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: SBC timing cover help please

There are 2 different front cover seals depending on the oil pan. One pan uses a thick seal. The other uses the thin seal.

It is possible to install the cover with the oil pan on but is also very difficult. Usually you need to modify the inner seal lip of the cover (trimming the corners). Unless you've done it before and know what to do, it's best to drop the pan down to get a good alignment on the front pan seal.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! I did trim the corners, as I saw this on youtube....however, it has not really helped, and no, I have not done this before. I suppose I will need to loosen the pan....but ugh....hate to introduce more options for leaks. Anyone ever just toss the rubber lip seal, and have success with a nice thick bead of "the right stuff"
Old 05-17-2019, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 V8
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: RPO GU2 - 2.73

Originally Posted by jaystoy View Post
Thank you! I did trim the corners, as I saw this on youtube....however, it has not really helped, and no, I have not done this before. I suppose I will need to loosen the pan....but ugh....hate to introduce more options for leaks. Anyone ever just toss the rubber lip seal, and have success with a nice thick bead of "the right stuff"
I also ran into this issue. Post # 41: The easiest (safest) thing to do though is to loosen the oil pan bolts and drop it just enough to clear the lip...
Old 05-18-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

Originally Posted by jaystoy View Post
Anyone ever just toss the rubber lip seal, and have success with a nice thick bead of "the right stuff"
Don't do this.

Besides the fact that the cover will leak, you stand a good chance of getting excess silicone into the oil pan where it will clog the pump pickup. Instead, loosen the pan bolts to allow the pan to drop low enough to let you install the front cover with the proper seal. A SMALL dab of silicone at the corners will help insure no leaks.