Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

87 GTA T/A TPI NO START - Losing my mind

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 gta trans am
Engine: 383 stroker blueprint engines
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
87 GTA T/A TPI NO START - Losing my mind

I got this engine to fire up right away after install. Had what seemed to be a lope that was nice. Blueprint Engine Bp38318ct1.... Attempted to set base timing with esc disconnected. I could not for the life of me get the 13-16 initial set without idling rough. After that day it has failed to start back up esc plugged in or disconnected. I have re-verified, 18436572, timing marks in the "ball park" 4 ATDC TILL 16 BTDC, New ignition coil, cap, button, distributor, wires, and probably other things I'm not mentioning.

Inductive timing light gives strong rapid spark from coil to cap. Intermittently show a spark on cylinder 1. whilst cranking some exhaust noise can be heard as if it's trying to fire up. Some cylinders feel warm on the header tube.

I've killed the battery and obtained a replacement. I'm starting to lose hope in this car ever running.

I have burned several chips with different bins with no further improvement. Please help if anyone can shed some light. I would love to have my baby back on the road.

1987 GTA Trans Am. Tuned Port Injection 5.7 350 originally.

I got the car in 2005. 2006 Deployed overseas while active duty in the Marine Corp. While on deployment my wife destroyed the engine. I put a 327 with 350 heads and the factory TPI and managed to get the abortion to run correctly. After some time of sitting at my parents house she refused to start. Parents moved and no longer had room to store it. Stored it at a storage unit after trying to get it running and found a bad fuel pump. This was 2014

Fast forward to Dec 2021. Went and got my stuff from storage including my car. She refused to run after replacing the fuel pump, filter, wires, plugs, cap, rotor button and distributor.

Swapped engine to a BP38318CT1 blueprint engines
383 Roller, TPI, 30lbs injectors, APU1 from Moates.
She fired up no issues. Turned it off, found the computer and dropped it to see ADS SUPER CHIPS sticker.

No biggie i will be tuning this. Removed it installed G1 to ADS. Burnt chip after chip after chip and still can only get a sputter from the engine. 2 days after it ran initially and I shut it off I am still battling the struggle of getting it running.

I got a new battery going in it in the morning so I know I got some solid power. If like to know of anything else I am potentially missing. Anything helps.

Forgive me if I missed a few things but I just poured it out as it took place. I am just passionate about my car and miss it since 2005 when I had to deploy. Id hate to return such a strong engine.

Last edited by jmeese; 02-25-2022 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-24-2022, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 379 Likes on 279 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt / 2.77 Posi
Re: 87 GTA T/A TPI NO START - Losing my mind

Well, the firing order should be 18436572, so you might want to check on that. It sounds like spark and fuel are happening, but the timing is off. Perhaps you should reset to #1 TDC and try stabbing the distributor in again.

What injectors are you using? Stock bins are going to be unhappy with not stock injectors, but I don't think that would prevent the engine from idling. What's your fuel pressure at?

Edit: you need to be setting the timing based on the bin you are using. The blueprint spec is for a non-computer controlled distributor.

Last edited by Komet; 02-24-2022 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:11 AM

Sorry about the typo on the firing order. I am able to edit the bin and definately changed that and the Injector flow rate. 30 lbs to answer the question. Had a custom tune sent to me based on specs by a friend who tunes for a living.

I also replaced the fpr. I couldn't tell you what the fp is on the rail. I know its getting fuel as I smell it cranking the engine over. I've tried anything from stock bins to modified bins. None seem to fix the issue.

Last edited by jmeese; 02-25-2022 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-25-2022, 10:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 383 SBC/HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Unless I missed this. When you you put the ADS prom back in, does it run?

Also, check your plugs. Fouled out plugs from too much fuel, will cause a no start or a rough initial run.
The following users liked this post:
jmeese (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by heat seeker
Unless I missed this. When you you put the ADS prom back in, does it run?

Also, check your plugs. Fouled out plugs from too much fuel, will cause a no start or a rough initial run.

Yes it ran. Today was able to get it to idle within 13-16 spec. Removed g1 and ran ads memcal as it was before I started having issues.

Little pops or backfires at idle. Increasing rpm it will go away but not until about 2k rpm.

Now I got a car that idles within spec but smells rather rich.
I have the stock o2 sensor installed. I am curious what the aftermarket wideband would read. Nonetheless. It smells rich and is possible cause for the backfires? I only have one bung on driver side dynomax shorty block hugger headers and that's it. No exhaust or anything. My factory y-pipe needs modification before I can attach it and the rest of the system.

Edit: forgotten detail. Just curious after the car runs. I put it into diagnostic mode with a 42 resulting.

Last edited by jmeese; 02-25-2022 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Forgot detail
Old 02-25-2022, 04:27 PM

So after I seen the code 42, I took a break to collect my thoughts. I burned 2 chips. 1 I prefer to use and a 2nd of the first doesn't work. 2nd is closer to stock settings with the exception of base initial timing and total advance. I be messing with it again here in a few minutes.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by jmeese
So after I seen the code 42, I took a break to collect my thoughts. I burned 2 chips. 1 I prefer to use and a 2nd of the first doesn't work. 2nd is closer to stock settings with the exception of base initial timing and total advance. I be messing with it again here in a few minutes.
Reworked a bin file that works with the car running.