Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!
View Poll Results: Should I keep my accel super coil, or should I trade it for a distributer and coil
Keep the accel super coil and distributer
66.67%
Get rid of it and get a regular distributer and coil
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Accel super coil or seperate ignition coil and distributer vote on pole

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Accel super coil or seperate ignition coil and distributer vote on pole

OK, I have been told by a few people that the accel super coil isn't all that great. They said I should take it off and replace it with a regular coil and a regular distributer cap. What do you guys think?? Any one tried this and which did you like better. please vote and post your experience. My mods are in my sig
Attached Thumbnails Accel super coil or seperate ignition coil and distributer   vote on pole-dcp_0057.jpg  
Old 04-07-2002, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Are you having some sort of problem with the coil?

I've got the remote mount unit for the small dist and have never had a problem.
Old 04-07-2002, 03:13 PM

I don't really have any problem. Sometimes if I am at a dead stop a light and just take off and hold it down when I hit about 60 it will like bog. I changed fuel filter and did a tunup. I didn't change plugs rotor button distributer cap or anthing like that because it only has about 12,000 on it. I thought my carb might be draining my fuel pump, but a couple of people said it might be the super coil. I didn't really see how it would be, but just trying to get some preferences and see if anyone has had any problems. My car does not run off the computer. any Ideas. Car does not do this all the time!!:hail:
Old 04-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
I doubt the coil is causing your problem. Any high voltage coil is going to be better than a stock coil. Instead of dumping the Accel coil, add an MSD 6a or 6al to the mix. As far as the "bog" problem that could easily be a fuel related issue. Hook a fuel pressure guage up to your carb and tape it to the windshield so you can watch it. Take the car out and recreate the situation that causes the "bog" problem. Watch your fuel pressure, it should increase steadily as you accelerate. If the fuel pressure drops off at any point it's possible that you may need to get a higher flow fuel pump and an adjustable regulator to control fuel flow.

You have a nearly identical setup to what my friend has in his formula and he added a Holley fuel pump that flows 7psi and and adjustable fuel pressure regulator to lower the pressure to about 5 - 5 1/2 psi. Depending on what fuel pump you're running right now, you're probably flowing about 3-4psi and the Edelbrock carbs tend to run best with higher fuel pressure than that.

Last edited by 86TpiTransAm; 04-07-2002 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2002, 03:47 PM

The fuel pressure gauge hooks into the line right. My fuel filter is up next to the carb, I know It would need to go after the fuel filter right. Any tips on hooking it up. I have really never dealt with one of these. If I get one I would like to get one to mount with the rest of my gauges and make it permanent. Good Idea or bad? Here is a picture of the way my gauges are now.
Attached Thumbnails Accel super coil or seperate ignition coil and distributer   vote on pole-dcp_0043.jpg  
Old 04-07-2002, 04:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
I'm not an expert on hooking up a fuel pressure guage on a carb because I run FI in my car but I know it's pretty simple. If my friend can do it, anyone can... he's got a couple screw loose upstairs if you know what I mean.

As far as hooking one up to go with the rest of your guages, there's no problem with that. Jegs and other companies sell many different kinds that you can mount inside for carbed engine. Most of them read 0-15psi. However, if you buy a mechanical one and not electric, you MUST buy one that includes an isolator. This keeps fuel from dumping into your passenger compartment in case your line going to the guage breaks.

I noticed your guage setup in your car and was just curious... ever thought about buying a double or triple guage A-Pillar Pod??
Old 04-07-2002, 04:59 PM

Yah, actually I had. Just never really came across one or made the effort to search for one. I think they look really nice, but I also like them under the vents. Guess I would just have to see a few pictures of people's cars who have them mounted that way. And find someone who sells them. Any idea about how much they run. Thanks for the tip about the isolator, hate for the gas to dump in while someone was smoking LOL No I don't smoke and don't let people smoke in my car, but that would really suck if it happend to someone huh. Thanks again for replying to my post. Comments have been very helpful. Jason
Attached Thumbnails Accel super coil or seperate ignition coil and distributer   vote on pole-dcp_0041.jpg  
Old 04-08-2002, 01:56 PM

I like the way it looks with your guages in their current location.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:49 PM

Thanks man, I like the way they look also. Hate to change them and leave holes up under my dash even though you really wouldn't see them. Think I might just leave them.
Attached Thumbnails Accel super coil or seperate ignition coil and distributer   vote on pole-dcp_0043.jpg