Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

383 Friday Night playtime

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' Z28
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.11
383 Friday Night playtime

Ok well the engine is one I spent several months building, and even months longer trying to find a block that could be worked with (that junkyards around here price as if their gold). At the end of winter I had finally finished inspecting it and dropped it in during the week of my birthday. I have drove it here and there just to put some miles on her just to get a feel with her. Had taken the car in and out of service all winter long to prepare it for the drop.

Finally I got a Friday night off since the drop and it was finally a decently warm night and not too cold out so there was actually activity in our small towns cruise spot. There was one of these kids in town from Colorado that really thought he was hot. I only knew the kid because he was friends with one of my old school mates.

He's driving an 07' Mazda 6 Sedan with the V6. No idea what it was rated for horsepower but he was ragging on my ride (Cosmetically it is not quite where I want it yet as I have just freshly primed it for paint) about how he would smoke my old junk. The car was of course not started at this time as I was originally parked looking for something that would be an actual race....or some chicks in a mustang to play with at least. Invited him to race me on one of the back roads and friend would show him where and that I would meet them there. I let them get down the road for few minutes while my passenger was getting back in the car then headed out that way.

The race was short....and fast but one could say it is a priceless moment too. His passenger got out of the car lined us up. I asked if he wanted a couple car lengths so it would be "bit more fair" and he wouldn't take them but said he'd give me 4 cause I would "need it" and I of course wouldn't take it knowing full well what I was running. Our mutual friend flags us and I baby the throttle to keep some traction and then just completely way lay it after I have some roll. Needless to say I was already backing off the throttle after an 1/8 as there was more then car lengths between us. Pretty sure he went home crying cause his $18,000 ride just got whooped by a car with much less cost over-all.

After that I went back into town and just messed around on our one ways with some cars (couple supercharged Grand Ams, late 90's stangs and couple newer, and some newer Camaros). I was really looking forward to a co-workers 78' Trans Am that has a 400 in it but unfortunatly he wouldn't bring it out to play or another friend that has a 01 Trans Am that was wanting to race as soon as it was warm enough but he wasn't out either

I begin to think the engine is overkill in this town but it was hard enough to find a block to build it on that I will never let it go now.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 383 Miniram AFR195
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt/3.70
Re: 383 Friday Night playtime

Sounds like fun.

What is your engine combo? Had it to the track or dyno yet?

-Schultzy
Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
Re: 383 Friday Night playtime

Run it at the track, not the streets... At least get yourself a time
Old 04-01-2008, 02:49 AM