Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

New Car.... how will I fare

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Car.... how will I fare

Ok....
I'm thinking of buying a new car... its a 91 RS with an L03.... auto
my friend has a 01 rustang stick 4.6 GT.... I'm perty sure he'd beat me, but by how much.....

also, the car is in relatively good shape, new paint, cheap paint job however. it seems to run out perty good...
the guy is wanting 2500 for the car.... does this seem high?? or what??
is this car worth the money??? just your opinions

also, is this cars carb computer controlled??? and how hard would it be to put a holley 4bbl on it??? with say an edelbrock High Rise intake....
would this help much??? and would it be enough beat my friend in a street race??? and how much money should i look to spend for the carb and intake....
thanks so much for your time.... i know its a lot of questions.... just answer what you can or want to.... thanks....
Old 12-21-2001, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
If u are looking for a car to race with or a fast car, don't buy an L03. Its almost like buying a V6. If u like getting beat by M*****gs and almost everything else its OK I guess though. To get it the way u want it u are going to have to change everything in that engine. Try to go for a 305 TPI 5-Speed or a 5.7 TPI which is only Auto. U won't beat that car and he will most likely get so far ahead he might be barely visable.

Last edited by IROCZTWENTYGR8; 12-21-2001 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:44 PM

If you want to compare stock to stock then the mustang has got you. But why compare apples and oranges. If I were you I would get the Camaro. Thats a good price for a build up car. Although if you were really wanting to get into it. Sure you could put in a 4bbl carb easily. But the thing is whys that going to matter still? Hes running a stick and you and auto plus its a GT.
Check into getting some exhaust upgrades, chip, and stuff for your engine but your car would look bad man....
Old 12-22-2001, 12:00 AM

car would look bad????

bad as in good
or bad as in idiot
hahaha

and it already has some exhaust work, i'm not sure of the enxtent but it sounds bad.... if i had to guess i'd say headers, but i'm not sure...

anywho, this car is basically a steping stone... i'll buy this and ride it for a while then trade for the IROC or GTA that i'm wanting.... anyway, this car is quite a step up from my 3.1 that i've been driving for the past year and a half....

if i can get the price down ill probably buy, but that seems like too much for me personally.... i just don't have that kinda money....
Old 12-22-2001, 12:05 AM

Well I payed 4800 for my 92 Camaro...and it was bone stock and needed some major stuff done to it. Like change oil, re-grease everything. New brake pads, alternator, starter motor, new clutch....i mean its a fair price so go for it and bad as in bad a**
Old 12-22-2001, 01:50 AM

Re: New Car.... how will I fare

Originally posted by NXS055
Ok....
I'm thinking of buying a new car... its a 91 RS with an L03also, is this cars carb computer controlled??? and how hard would it be to put a holley 4bbl on it???
Anyone else notice this? L03 is TBI, unless the guy swapped it out for a carb. If he did, it may or may not be computer controlled. Putting a 4bbl Holley on there, whether he made the swap to carb already or not, won't be too hard. There are tech articles and lots of posts about that.
Old 12-22-2001, 10:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Maybe the guy just thinks the way the air cleaner looks and the TBI itself looked at by the untrained eye might be able to be confused for a carburetor I guess. Either way you got about 2 seconds to make up in the 1/4 to keep up with him.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Mark, your pictures are buggin the crap out of me LOL cropping is your friend

Old 12-23-2001, 12:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you ever buy one of these cars with the intent of going fast, you might be a bit dissapointed. If you want a car that looks great, gets good MPG, and drives great around town because the motor makes torque even at insanely low RPMs (mine will go into OD@35 mph and kick down to 900 RPMs and it dosen't sputter or bog at all, and can pull up medium size hills at 1200 RPMs and never downshift, I assume they all do that). If you wanna go fast (like REAL fast) , you'll be swapping engines. They're just a tad faster than a 94-95 V6 mustang I'll put it that way, but driving one around it feels much better due to the huge difference in torque.
Old 12-24-2001, 11:19 PM

thanks for the info guys
And yeah, I do apologize, I didn't know it was a TBI and it did look like a carb just looking at it.... hahaha, live and learn....
so.... I think I'm probably getting it.... i'm thinking of trading even for my 92 RS 3.1 5 spd
my car as 117k miles and this one has 136k my car has a dent in the hood and a busted out grill (hit a fox) the new one seems to be in good shape... the interior is in great shape.... it is power everything while my car is power nothing....
does this sound like a good deal???? or am I gettin jipped, cuz dad seems to think i should stick with what i have.....
also, what would I be lookin at payin for a decent cam (which one) and heads (wich ones)..... and how much will these two things help me.....
thanks for all the help guys.... i preciate it
Old 12-26-2001, 08:05 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '02 Rodeo
Engine: 3.2 V6 DOHC
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: 4.30 Dana 44 Rear 10 bolt front
if you have a 92 now, why trade down for a 91, unless you are getting a killer deal. why dont you have a motor swapped in your car now.
your car has fewer miles, is newer, plus will have fewer rattles, b/c i have read somewhere on this site that gm used a better technique in their assembly. (i think its in the tech articles)
i would say save your money and do a motor swap, you could find an lb9 5spd from a junk yard.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:09 AM
TGO Supporter

oh, and one more thing, i have owned an lo3, and you think its fast at first until you lose badly to someone.
they are great for mpg, low torque and driveability.
and in comparison with my current car w/ the tpi setup-you get more low end, and a little better top end
keep your car, swap the motor, b/c the tbi/at is probably not too much faster than your 3.1/5speed
Old 12-26-2001, 08:56 AM
TGO Supporter

i found the article, go to the section on old magazine articles and click on this one:

Third-Gen Evolution-- Highlights of an overlooked decade in Camaro history- Camaro Performers, Fall
1998, Volume 3, No. 2.

then scroll all the way to the bottom, and in the section on 1992, one of the additions was a new body seam sealer designed to reduce rattles, and make the body more rigid.
some people wonder why they did this on the last year of the 3rd gen, but gm knew they were carrying over the floor pan to the 4th gen
Old 12-28-2001, 08:02 AM

great advice fella's.... I really do appreciate all you've helped me with.... i'm keeping my 92 3.1, but i'm also buying the 91, so, i'll have two cars now, thats one to work on and one to ride all the time,... hehehe
anyway, the car needs a few things, so i talked the guy down to 1800 dollars.... it needs a new tranny mount (i hope, we are checkin that out first) and a muffler/tailpipe.... it also needs one headlight and a breaklight, and the power windows are getting weak so i'm gonna fix all of this and it'll still be cheaper for me....

also, i called advance to see about the tranny mount and they told me it would cost about eight dollars.... does this sound right??? seems awful cheap to me.... i asked the guy what it looked like and he described it as a rubberish block with two ears, holes for bolts, and one bolt coming out the top???
is this right???
i dunno
thanks guys....
oh, and i'm getting either a flowmaster, or dynamax muffler with dual outlets and quad tips.... this will suffice until i can get my headers and run true duals all the way back....
anyway, i'm out
thanks again
cody