Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

First Hot Rod SBC Build Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 RS Camaro
Engine: Custom Small Journal 327
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: GM 10 Bolt 3.08
Re: First Hot Rod SBC Build Help

Originally Posted by skinny z
Here's a look at how 4 degrees retarded cam timing affects the power and torque. The 331 is a;ready torque limited. This adds to that.

327-4

That's actually not nearly as bad a drop as I was anticipating. To go to a significantly safer DCR and only lose about 10-15 ft lbs of tq I would say is worth it wouldn't you?
Old 03-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 629 Likes on 530 Posts

Keeping in mind the values from DynoSim are relative (I'll repeat that the actual numbers won't reflect real world results) I still think you'll end up with an engine that under performs down low. Now, having said that, if you were to invest in something like a Cloyes HexAjust timing set, you could mess around with cam timing even after the engine is built. It's not the easiest thing to do but not as much work as swapping head gaskets.
Now, to throw a real wrench on the works, have you considered changing heads to something more suitable?
Old 03-01-2016, 12:29 PM

Keeping in mind the values from DynoSim are relative (I'll repeat that the actual numbers won't reflect real world results) I still think you'll end up with an engine that under performs down low. Now, having said that, if you were to invest in something like a Cloyes HexAjust timing set, you could mess around with cam timing even after the engine is built. It's not the easiest thing to do but not as much work as swapping head gaskets.
Now, to throw a real wrench on the works, have you considered changing heads to something more suitable?
Yeah I have. The problem is not knowing what they would be good for to know how to market them. Also since I'm swapping from a lack luster 305 TBI motor, I'm already light years ahead of where I am now with a measly peak tq of 255. I'm thinking very seriously about just sticking the cam in there at 4* retarded and seeing how it all goes. If those simulator work ups are even remotely close I'm sure I will be ecstatic. I just hate to lose my **** on the heads. Especially not knowing where to start with what to replace them with. The Cam as we've been discussing I think I will be ordering is that Crower 00466.

I may even bite the bullet and just have the bottom end completely redone again with flat top pistons.
Also have better rods put in this time. It's probably an extra grand or so of parts and machine work but at least I will know it's right and able to handle anything I throw at it.

I've already been sufficiently screwed by Herbert again. Mostly my fault but I sent the original Cam and Rockers back. Haven't heard from them since... I also don't want to sell the heads to anyone and them god forbid have a problem and have no recourse at all.

I appreciate all the help from everyone up to this point. I've definitely gotten an education which is exactly what I was after when I started this thread. After I lick my wounds and scrape up some coin. I will let you all know how I'm going to proceed. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Last edited by skinny z; 03-01-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member

Last edited by skinny z; 03-01-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Last edited by skinny z; 03-01-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:48 PM

I'd build it with the heads and 270 cam (or Crower) straight up. Whatever quench you get with a .026" gasket too.
Hope you got the pm I just sent. I found a local machinist whose gonna deck the block and put the pistons .005 in the hole as well as balance the rotating assembly for 350. Not terrible. The whole thing being unbalanced pressure wise was really getting to me. A 5cc flat top with reliefs would be fantastic. I think the KB 156's are 7cc. Maybe there's other options out there. But as far as 327 specific pistons those are the only ones I've found, If I decide to change pistons I will for sure be getting new rods as well.

Also as a footnote I called UEM (maker of KB pistons) this afternoon. Super cool guy worked with me for about 20 minutes on DCR and both he and the engine builder I'm talking to seem to agree that you can still run pump gas as high as 9:1 DCR as long as the cooling system is up to snuff.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

I edited all of my posts. For whatever reason I had it that you were using a conventional flat top piston. When I recaluclated with a 5cc dish rather than a .5cc dome, the engine suddenly worked.
As for a 9:1 DCR...never with iron and not have to sacrifice lots of timing. With aluminum, I can't say.
As for .005" deck. Perhaps consider a .014" deck and use the .026 gasket. Perfect fit and it leaves you something in the shortblock to deck again should you ever need too.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:13 PM

I edited all of my posts. For whatever reason I had it that you were using a conventional flat top piston. When I recaluclated with a 5cc dish rather than a .5cc dome, the engine suddenly worked.
As for a 9:1 DCR...never with iron and not have to sacrifice lots of timing. With aluminum, I can't say.
As for .005" deck. Perhaps consider a .014" deck and use the .026 gasket. Perfect fit and it leaves you something in the shortblock to deck again should you ever need too.
The only reason the .005 was tossed out as an option is because the number 1 hole is already .012 down. Assuming that all rod lengths are the same. Going to remeasure tomorrow with the same rod and piston in the 4 corner holes.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:20 PM

Hey there guys. After much deliberation I wound up taking the block to another machinist in my area. Turns out I also need to have the Rods reconditioned... first machinist completely missed that one so I'm really glad I did. After all that I wound up .015 in the hole. Also I gave a call to Jim over at Racer Brown Cams and after one phone call had him grind me a custom . It's a 232/236 at .050 .577/.573 with 1.6 ratio rockers on a 112 LSA with 4 degrees ground in advance.

I also wound up with a Quick Fuel 680 Vacuum Secondary Carb from FBO Systems. Don is a great guy to work with. Also wound up with my whole ignition system from him as well. A Daytona Sensors CD-1 Pro and Pertronix vacuum advance distributor phased to my camshaft as well.

I have to say how much I appreciate all of the help and guidance I received from along this build process. Its great to have so many people to bounce ideas off of. Its been an education.

I close out this thread. Thanks again.