TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scratch built "box" plenum

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 iroc convertible
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
scratch built "box" plenum

Okay guys tell me what ya think. I am building a 383 with vortec's. I was thinking of perhaps trying to fab my own plenum. My profession grants me lots of equipment to build things. I figured I could construct the "box" from delrin ( high grade nylon type stuff ) or aluminum. I could mod the runners by milling almost in half and welding on flanges. Has anyone on here ever tried it? What do ya think of this? I am thinking it would run just fine as long as I keep the runner length the same on all eight. Just think a delrin plenum!
Old 02-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc z hardtop
Engine: peanut LB9
Transmission: slopomatic TH700R4
sound cool, you could make your own kinda superram idea too. if you cut the runners and rewelded fanges on them
Old 02-04-2004, 07:34 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4
I had considered something similiar to what you're proposing, except that I was going to mill down some SLP runners and fab my own SuperRam style plenum. I ended up not doing it since I don't have access to a TIG welder, and while I've MIG welded alumimum it's probably not the way to go here.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: .040" over 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt with 3.45s
If you could fab a SuperRam-kind of plenum, and avoid the headaches that exist with that SuperRam, you might be on to something. I don't know how Delrin looks, but the look of polished aluminum is hard to beat.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Re: scratch built "box" plenum

Originally posted by mavis_1
Okay guys tell me what ya think. I am building a 383 with vortec's. I was thinking of perhaps trying to fab my own plenum. My profession grants me lots of equipment to build things. I figured I could construct the "box" from delrin ( high grade nylon type stuff ) or aluminum. I could mod the runners by milling almost in half and welding on flanges. Has anyone on here ever tried it? What do ya think of this? I am thinking it would run just fine as long as I keep the runner length the same on all eight. Just think a delrin plenum!

yup.

athough if i had access to the equipment, i wouldnt be keeping the stock base

id probly machine a single plane carbed intake to hold the stock injectors/fuel rail, and then make a box plenum to go on top... and mount the throttle body to it in roughly the same place as stock..

athough there is a guy on here from sweden that beat me to it.
Attached Thumbnails scratch built "box" plenum-intake2.jpg  
Old 02-05-2004, 03:33 PM

I thought about modding my plenum, and the runners too. I even bought a whole TPI setup as a back up, so I could experiment. I was planning to widen the stock plenum and shorten the runners accordingly. I even thought about totally siamesing the runners with sheet alum. I do have a tig by the way. Then I realized why do all this work, when I can start with a known good intake ( I have a Victor Jr) and just adapt it to EFI. Believe me, I was on you track but then I saw the light. The only benefit to modding the stocker is to be able to say its still a TPI. The single plain way is much simpler.