TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some advice...PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
I need some advice...PLEASE

Okay I know everyone is sick of people asking questions like "what intake is the best" and "what heads and cam is the best for me" blah blah blah. But I guess I have to do the same thing. I tried "search" but I couldn't really find what I needed. First of all, I don't know the first thing about how to match up heads and cam. Can someone just tell me what I should get. I want AFR heads but I don't even know what 190 and 195 mean. Also lift, duration, etc. mean nothing to me. I don't want a car that is uncomfortable to ride in but I want it to run low 13's maybe 12's with slicks. I know everything there is to know about every intake system there is out there except if they will work with certain types of heads.

My sig shows what I have. I just lost my liscense for six months, so by the time I get them back I hope to have a fast(er) and better looking/handling car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

------------------
1990 Formula 350
*Hooker Headers
*Flowmaster 3" Exhaust(no cat)
*Accel AFPR
*K&N
*Airfoil
*170* Thermostat
*'99 16x8 Formula Wheels
*Metco Lower Control Arms
Old 02-04-2001, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
350......4mula,

Stop, take a breath, and ... think.

Do you really want someone to just tell you what to get? How will you know if it right for you or not? The easy way is usually not the best way and this is exactly one of those times. You need to figure out the questions that you asked on your own or else you will probably not be that happy with your engine. So - the next piece of advice that I can offer is ... read. Yes, read. That is the way that I got started. There are many good books out there. I must have 20-30 sitting on my shelves. Reading just a few of these books will put you on the road to making an educated decision. A couple of the AOK books are....

Lingenfelter on Modifying the Small Block Chevy
Small Block Chevy Performance
Small Block Chevy Performance Volume II.

These books will set you on the right path.

190 and 195 refer to the intake port size on a small block chevy cylinder head. These numbers are the sizes in cubic centimeters (cc). In other words, if you poured liquid into the intake port of the head (valve closed of course) it would take 190cc (or 190ml because 1cc = 1ml) to fill up the port.

Tim

------------------
  • Program your own PROMs!. Read my article to get started!
  • Research and Experiment before asking questions.
  • This is not a chip store. Go to the classifieds if you want someone to sell you a chip or give you a BIN.
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Best Time = 12.244 @ 112.51mph (1.778 60' / 7.819@88.32mph in the 1/8)
All Natural. No Force. No Drugs. Stock Bottom End. Stock Body Panels.
Gunning for NA 11's with bigger cam, bigger stall, and bigger exhaust.
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Moderator: PROM board at thirdgen.org
Old 02-05-2001, 04:37 PM

Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Yeah Traxion I guess you are right...I do have a while before I get my liscense back so reading a few books won't kill me. I need to learn all of this stuff since I know this won't be the last time I build a car or even the last time I build a thirdgen.

Thanks for the help. By the way your car kicks butt.

------------------
1990 Formula 350
*Hooker Headers
*Flowmaster 3" Exhaust(no cat)
*Accel AFPR
*K&N
*Airfoil
*170* Thermostat
*'99 16x8 Formula Wheels
*Metco Lower Control Arms
Old 02-05-2001, 06:30 PM
Banned

If you are still wanting advice, then why don't you go into a little more detail about what you will be happy with in the end. What you want it to end up like and look like?
I thought your goal of 13's was not asking very much since my 86 305TPI went faster with the stock heads, cam, and intake.
If you go with a good set of aluminum "street" heads then you are unlikely to go wrong with any choice out there.. just stay away from race heads on a daily driver.
As far as the camshaft, yes you can easily go wrong and destroy the drivability while gaining little or no power.
There is no requirement for you to "dyno" match your intake, cam, and heads together for them to work great. I use TFSTW heads, and as you can see below, an Edlebrock intake, and Lingenfelter TPI camshaft. My engine easily outperforms the "dyno" matched Edlebrock power package which uses a larger size head, and much larger camshaft than I have.
As far as being happy, I've never been happier with any engine combo. I drive it regularly from St Louis to Atlanta to visit my family.
Any specific questions? just ask away.
good luck

------------------
*I do custom performance mods on Edlebrock Performer carburetors (dualplane intake mods in the works),
White 1986 Irocz, 305/383 with Edlebrock Performer-RPM intake and Performer #1407 carburetor, +110hp shot of crack, 700R-4 tranny, 3.25:1 rear, Mcreary Road-Stars, SLP-stainless 1.75" shortie headers & Y-pipe, single 3" Borla exhaust, Linginfelter-TPI camshaft part number 74216 pulls 17" vacuum solid. Cam specs 213/219 @.050 114-LSA, .462/.470 lift @1.5:1 ratio. MSD-6AL, billet distributor, multi-retard, blaster-3 coil, and RPM switch.
N/A runs 10.9 @124,
Crack-runs 10.3 @135
haven't run at track since Oct-99