TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting from Carb to TPI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Converting from Carb to TPI?

Hi there..

I need some advice on what I need to convert my 305 carbed engine to a 305TPI.

the car i have, is 87 Camaro Sport Coupe so I have this computer controlled quadrajet carb.

I have found a TPI setup kit on ebay that I am planning to buy TPI Kit

I also need a new wiring harness on my car if i'm not wrong??.
Wiring Harness

And also I need to change the ECM and Prom I guess??
And what about fuel pump?..I guess I will need a bigger pump??

But my main question here is: what other componements do I need to complete my TPI setup. I am buying all of the things now so I can start on the covertion to the Fall.

And another question. Next year I may buy and Rebuild a 350 Engine. This TPI setup will fit that engine to right??.
I only need to change the injectors or what??

I apreciate every response I get...
Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 06:39 PM

Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: Vortec headed 350
Transmission: '89 WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Converting from Carb to TPI?

Why don't you try to at least start out with a nicer looking system

I basically just got done doing the same thing to my 87 Monte Carlo SS. I'm sure they must have the same motor (?) since it also was a CC quadrajet carb. You'll need the things you listed above, although I would have to find an intake setup that goes for $150 rather than $1000 but that is up to you. You'll need a fuel pump/sending unit from an f body that came with TPI- don't think it matters if 305/350 they were all the same I believe. The tank in your carbed car may not have baffles in the tank (I know they don't on Montes with a carb) so if you use your existing tank you'll run the possibility of fuel pump starvation when tank levels are lower and while braking, acceleration, cornering, driving like you stole it, etc . You'll have to redo the fuel lines, either by replacing all the rubber connections on the 3/8" feed line with high pressure fuel hose (personally, I'd do the return line also, but some don't) and the vent should be fine as is. Remember that 87 newer engines with centerbolt valvecovers had a different intake center bolt pattern, so if you want to put it on an 86 older head than you will have to modify the intake (some say it's easy to do, but IDK) or simply have the correct intake base.
Honestly, this could go on for a while and most won't take two seconds to try and help another out (as I'ved learned through my project) so your best bet would be to spend the next few months just reading everything you can about TPI and before you know it you will know what you need to do. Plus I think that they probably must have a TON of info on this site for doing this very project on an F Body, but I never bothered to come here for info until recently . Good luck on your project.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350, 92 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Auburn gear posi, 3.08

A good book you should buy right now is Chevy TPI Fuel Injection Swappers Guide by John Baechtel. (Cartech books)
Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM

Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: Vortec headed 350
Transmission: '89 WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

^^^^^ I agree, and I have that very same book. It will definately get you going in the right direction with TPI in general, how it works, differences in various years, and a very good troubleshooting section.
They can be bought off ebay for right around $25/shipped or less.