TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference on fuel systems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
difference on fuel systems?

Hi there..

I am doing a TPI swap this winter. I have a 87 Camaro with 305 carburetted engine. I have a electric int-tank fuel pump now that I know that I have o change but still I have a lot of questions about the fuel system cause I have heard so many different opinions.

1. Is there any difference on the fuel tanks between a carburetted engine and a TPI engine on the thirdgen Camaro's?

2. Is there any difference on the fuel sending unit's?..
I know I have 4 outlets from my fuel tank and they are connected to the steel lines on the chassis driver's side.

3. Does ANYONE have something like a schematics diagram or fuel lining diagram?..then it would be easier to have a look on what kind of lines goes where. I mean, from fuel sending unit to filter, from filter to steel lines, from steel lines to the fuel rails and so on.

Please help me out. I need to buy all my parts as soon as possible..
Old 12-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Firebird, 90 bird coming soon
Engine: 355 Chevy Vortec Heads TPI, LT1 inj
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi 9-bolt
Re: difference on fuel systems?

Hey Alex. I did this swap last year on my 87 bird. The tanks are the same, but the fuel level sending unit is different. The fuel feed line (from pump) will have a threaded flare nut on it. the return line goes to the bottom on the tank, and the vapor line is fed to the top of the unit. The other line is the one with the check valve on it. The way I did this was I found a car in a junk yard that was fuel injected and took those lines for the swap. Carb lines go to the passenger side of the engine and the TPI or TBI lines go to the driver side (Left hand drive cars). Before you install the sending unit, mark all the ends of the lines so you know where they go after installed. On the fuel rails, the 2 hoses have different size fittings so you don't get them mixed up. Also, the larger one is the fuel feed (from pump) and smaller is fuel return. As for the wiring, you will need to get a new power wire to the injectors (depending if you are missing the INJECTOR 2 fuse under dash). May require new dash harness from fuel injected car. Good luck with it and keep us posted with the progress.

Chris

Last edited by birdtojag; 12-17-2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: forgot something.