TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I NEED HELP

Ok so i have had camaros on and off since i was 15 i recently bought a 1991 z28 it has the 5.7 tpi it does not run so i have reasonable mechanical skills thinking it could be bad fuel since its been sitting since april or the plugs so i put addititve in the tank change all plugs replace and redo ground to engine and positive from battery to starter i clean all the contats ect. the battery was junk so i went and bought a new one replaced that so i try to turn it over turns but doesnt start i spray starter fluid in slowly car sounds like it will start on its own after awhile until i notice that in the area of my starter was 2 foot flames not sure if it was my starter or something else that caused the fire please help me if anyone has any ideas im stumped both to the fire and the not starting
thanks ray
Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Car: 89 5.7 IROC/95 LT1 Corvette
Engine: All 5.7's
Transmission: 700R4 (Roessler)/ZF6
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt Zexel 3.23's. CTW 17" wheel
Re: I NEED HELP

Welcome to TGO, Have you checked the fuel pressure? I have no idea about the fire.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:03 PM

No but I have replaced fuel pressure regulator cap rotor plugs and wires had it running for like 10 min ran great then it stalled started back up running super rough and blowing white smoke parked it and pure gas was pouring steadily from where the manifold meets the rest of the ehaust and my oil is completly saturated in oil anybody have any ideas
Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Irocz
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.25:1

Fuel in the oil will wipe out the rings and the bearings if you run it like that, so don't !
Find out why your TPI is dumping the fuel. You can use a noid-light to check if the injectors are pulsing as they should when you crank over the engine. You'll also need to pull the fuel rail up and check for leaking injectors.

If the chambers filled with fuel, then at the very least you will have to dry the tips of your sparkplugs with a propane torch to get them to work properly again. Pulling the plugs also gives the fuel a chance to evaporate out and gives you a chance to re-lube the rings/cylinders before cranking the engine again.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:54 PM

ok its been sitting for like three days you think my plugs are still wet do you think it could be a relay or ecm or deffently an injector the car sat for months im stumped
Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Irocz
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.25:1

Originally Posted by Ray1028
ok its been sitting for like three days you think my plugs are still wet do you think it could be a relay or ecm or deffently an injector the car sat for months im stumped

It could be a lot of things, but thinking it's one thing or another isn't going to figure it out. You have to start troubleshooting.

Sitting a few days will not dry out fuel fouled plugs. If they got wet then you have to pull them and cook the fuel out of the tips with a propane torch.

I wouldn't bother with new plugs because it's likely to just wet them down again while you troubleshoot the problem.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:40 PM

Ok thanks