TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 tpi fuel flooding to spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1979 Camaro
Engine: 305 5.0 Tpi
91 tpi fuel flooding to spark plugs

Hello, I have a huge problem here! I actually don't have a 91 camaro but a 79 and did a TPI swap on it. I bought the intake up from an 89 Trans Am, only 65k on it. Bought everything new, Fuel pump, harness, every sensor, fuel pressure regulator, new distributor, coil, spark plug wires ect. ect. Also have a new Prom chip custom made, deleting smog stuff... ie canister purge, air pump ect.
Ecm and harness is a 90-92 speed density NOT MAF---- So I DO have the MAP sensor......

Haven't done any major performance add ons, just aluminum roller rocker arms and long tube headers. (have a heated o2 just at the end of the collector)

To the problem now.... When i first attempted to start it after installing everything the engine was flooding to the point where there was fuel in the oil pan. (yes it was fuel not coolant, you can smell the fuel after it was drained)
Also during this it fouled out the spark plugs and they were saturated with fuel. I figure this was the regulator, and that is when i replaced that. I went through made sure i had the right fuel pressure (40-45 idle), checked each injector with noid light for pulse, all checked out good.

After replacing regulator and spark plugs and new oil... i tried again and this time it wasn't flooding! Still poured out black smoke and spark plugs were black, but it wasn't flooding! took for a test drive figuring it needed to clear itself out and had average acceleration and bogged down at WOT..

Between then and now, i replaced the coolant temp sensor(figured the ecm thought it was running cold, threw off everything else) Replaced TPS (found deadspot about half throttle) Re-replaced the MAP sensor (bought new originally) and also the IAC,(was completely black and valve didn't open or close) also during that time there was and still is a violent sucking from where the opening is for the iac between the butterflies.

Started up again, new spark plugs(fouled out 2nd pair before) and still puffing out black smoke.. ran for a total of a couple minutes... pulled a plug and again saturated with fuel! Every mechanic friend I have cannot figure out why this is happening, why is it running rich/flooding the cylinders..... Have about 15 hours of research trying to solve and now am just reaching out for answers! Please help me!!!

Sorry for such a long question, just figured I would hit all the points so you would't have to ask much right away..
Feeling very desperate here
Old 06-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: 91 tpi fuel flooding to spark plugs

You have done your homework well, I suspect the solution is close at hand.

The problem appeared to be solved when you changed the regulator, but pouring black smoke is pretty close to the same thing as flooding. It just lucky that the engine was able to fire before the spark plugs got too wet.

Each time you changed the spark plugs, were they all equally wet with fuel? If it's only some cylinders, suspect a leaking injectors there. When you checked the fuel pressure, did it hold or bleed off quickly after prime?

On your custom PROM, was only the smog deletion changed, or were there changes made to the fueling? I suspect the problem might be here.

This is the right forum to solve your problem. There are guys (not me!) on here that know more about TPI than the guys that designed it. Unlike most new members that are just kids that come on here and looking for a magic wand to solve thier problems, you have done your due diligence. Your reward will be pesistant follow through until your TPI runs perfectly.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44

Is the ECM/chip matched for the injectors size?... Such as:
Did you get a 305 chip, which is expecting 19#/hr injectors, along with stock 350, 22#, injectors?
Did you buy larger, aftermarket injectors without changing the programming to match?

I had a similar problem when I mismatched my stock chip (22#) with the 27# replacement injectors. The car ran rich and rough, blew black smoke, and fouled the plugs. I put the correct chip in, replaced the blackened plugs, and passed emissions!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: L98 TPI 350
Transmission: 700R-4

Your original question doesn't say that you replaced the injectors with new ones so I would agree with eisebel67 that you may have leaking injectors.

Have you been able to scan for data and see what the carputer is reading? It may be trying to remove fuel already.

You said you have proper pressure at idle, but does it hold pressure with the engine off? I have a rich condition in my car and at idle the pressure is fine but as soon as I turn the engine off the fuel pressure drops to zero.

From what I understand, it isn't the mileage on the injector that kills it as much as age will. Others may not agree but that's what I was told.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:04 PM

Car: 1979 Camaro
Engine: 305 5.0 Tpi

Answer to questions// The Prom does match the injectors.. and each spark plug was close in how wet they were. HAven't been able to get scan yet, Should be getting that Thursday, 19th.

So the update.. Hooked up FP Gauge. Priming to and holding at in idle 60Psi now! Yes 60... no idea why and even how. My pump range is 30-75 and I have a NEW Regulator(diaphragm) that is OEM and i believe only goes to 45? It doesnt bleed off immediately but in about 5 minutes, dropping about 5 psi increments.

So 2 questions then...

1, Would the problem be leaky injectors or could it be that the fuel pressure was so high that it was forcing so much fuel in, or messing with the pulse rate to try and keep up with the fuel?

2, is there a solution within itself or can I do something such as an inline adjustable regulator before the rail such as pass side frame or firewall? setting it at 45-50 and running it with the rail mounted one, it should never get too high?
Thanks for the quick responses! Much appreciated
Old 04-18-2018, 01:04 AM

Did u fix the problem