TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with adjusting valve lash

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with adjusting valve lash

Ive encountered a problem when Im adjusting the preload on one of the valves.

Following the procedure of tightening the nut to zero lash, and then tighten it another 3/4 turn, I realize that i immediately begin to open the valve then i proceed to tighten that 3/4 turn. I can hear it clearly beacuse the compressed air is still hooked up to the cylinder.

My conclusion is that the lifter has collapsed by some reason, i would guess the spring is broken.

what do you guys think about it?
I guess it would be possible to find out the range of the lifter and then adjust the rockerarm nut to a gap with the coming expansion of the lifter taken into consideration.

Or would this be stupid in any way, should i go straight for replacing the lifter?
Old 01-06-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 firebird 86 c10 90 mustang
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: 97 t56
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt 3.73
Re: Trouble with adjusting valve lash

Is it a original engine? Modified motors could have solid lifters. Did you try more than one rocker arm?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Trouble with adjusting valve lash

Its a original one. Yes i moved to the intake on the same cylinder expecting it to behave different. But its the same on this valve to. Seems unlikely that the the lifters to both first and second of 16 valves should be broken on a engine that has only run 5500 mile.
Yet havet proceeded to the next cylinder since i would like to understand whats going on before turning the crank

Edit: problem solved, or in fact, it wasnt a problem at all. I just didnt expect the lifter to take about 15min to bleed and settle.

Last edited by aTobin; 01-07-2017 at 06:34 AM.