TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR tube to cat. converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: auto
AIR tube to cat. converter

So in my infinite wisdom in reinstalling the engine in this 86 I didn't set the small metal air tube from the air pump back down to the cat...is there some voodoo trick to getting that channeled back up through the engine bay and back in place ? I've tried from above and underneath and neither seem to be fit.

Second (and random) will straight boot plug wires work on the 305 tpi with stock manifolds ? These 90s fit horrible and I'm thinking of remaking my own.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Lethalv6; 01-08-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: AIR tube to cat. converter

I don't know about the AIR tube to the converter. You might want to unbolt the trans/engine mounts and try lifting either the trans or engine (maybe just on the passenger side) to try and get that tube in place.

If you're really desperate, you might be able to cut the tube into sections, position them and re-join them with 1/2" compression unions.

I don't know if the OEM '86 plug wire set is different from the '87 set, but my original wires had (3) straight booted wires and (5) 90-degree booted wires. Are you trying to route the wires over the manifolds? IIRC, some of them route under the manifold.

I'll upload a diagram if that will help.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: auto
Re: AIR tube to cat. converter

Thanks Paulo, I'll try lowering the trans to see if that gives me more room. The wires I'm just trying to get situated to where they look nice and don't cook on the manifolds. I was thinking the straight boots would allow them to go over the manifolds and route to dist, just not sure if they'll hit...I may have to just stick with the 90s