TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 33, I'm at my wits end...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn POSI from a '96 Z28
Code 33, I'm at my wits end...

Background:
1985 Camaro 305 TPI
Motor has been replaced with an 87 model.
No vacuum leaks
TPS voltage is good
IAC recently replaced
MAF recently replaced

I have recently encounted a problem with Code 33 popping up. This started when I noticed a coolant leak coming from under the throttle body (what I assume to be an intake heater of sorts). Took off the throttle body, replaced gaskets, and reinstalled. After that, it has never run properly. Surges at idle and sits at about 900-1100rpm respectively (in park or neutral). Occasionaly tries to drop down idle to ~650, realizes its going to die, and jumps back up, at any and all temperatures. When put in drive, idle drops to ~500rpm, seems to do okay... the surges for 30 secs before dying. No loss of power and no warning, throws a code 33 in every scenario. Drives fine on the highway, responsive and consistent. Tried following many previous threads on this topic to no avail. Some of the electrical explantions I've seen don't answer the questions I have.

1.) Which pins on the MAF connector itself should be showing voltage and at what amounts with the sensor unplugged and ignition on?
2.) This relay setup seems to be different from the diagrams I've seen on the forums. In my attempt to troubleshoot, I've noticed my car has spots for the burn-off and power relays, but they are not present nor is the harness they should attach to. Is this bad? It ran fine without them before, but maybe they condensed them with the single relay I found up in between where they should be...
3.) What should the MAF sensor ohm out at across each pin?
4.) Just noticed that the relay I have by the brake booster has a connector that is in bad shape, ordered a replacement... Could this be the problem?
5.) Is the IAC supposed to hiss loudly at idle? I know SOME air is supposed to enter, but you can hear it pulling in air standing by the drivers door. Reset twice during troubleshooting, I can hear it reset as well.
6.) Have been told fumes are bad coming from exhaust. Is it supposed to run rich or lean with this code?

Any help for this newbie would be appreciated guys, thanks for the patience.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Code 33, I'm at my wits end...

Since the engine was replaced, did that include the control system, or is the system still being operated by the 1985 ECM? The two systems are different, so the diagnosis would be different.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:42 AM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn POSI from a '96 Z28

Originally Posted by Vader
Since the engine was replaced, did that include the control system, or is the system still being operated by the 1985 ECM? The two systems are different, so the diagnosis would be different.
That's an excellent question, I assume that they used the original ecu and harness. There is actually no way of knowing because the guy the did the swap passed away and the man I bought it from has moved very far away. Sorry I can't answer that, I wish I knew myself....
I suppose I could check the ecu. Is there any numbers I should look for on it to tell?
Old 06-23-2017, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Yes post some pictures of the ECM and any labels on it.

Wasn't the 85 a vane style MAF?

GD
Old 06-23-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

the 1985 was a Hitachi-type hot wire MAF, built by Bosch, just like the later versions. The difference is that the output signal was a PWM digital signal which approximated the necessary analog voltage to the ECM, somewhat like the post-1992 vehicles have used until the present (although the later versions use the raw digital FM signal instead).

The 1986-89 cars used a similar Hitachi-type MAF, still made by Bosch, but the output signal was a linearly regulated DC analog voltage to the ECM.

A code 33 is frequently either caused by or contributed to by a TPS signal that is too low, improper grounding of the MAF circuit and ECM, poor contact or connections at the MAF relay(s), ECM, or MAF burn-off module on 1985-only cars.

Since the signal is different, the wiring is different, and the scheme is different, the diagnosis is also somewhat different for the 1985 systems. That's why it will be critical to know what ECM is in use.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:55 PM

After resealing the throttle body did you do a idle relearn..after cleaning them i always have to or they wont idle right