TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dipping toe in 3rd gen waters...305 5MT or 350 auto (6MT swap?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: BMW 335i
Engine: N55 turbo 6
Dipping toe in 3rd gen waters...305 5MT or 350 auto (6MT swap?)

Hello folks, been a long time since I've posted, used to have to post under a different name back in the late 90s.

Anyway, I'm likely to replace my daily driver within the next 6 months and am also giving some thoughts to swapping out the weekend driver as well. Right now my daily is a 2015 335i M Sport, need something a bit bigger for the family.

However, I'm simultaneously giving some thought to getting rid of my weekend car...again. I had a 2004 Z06 for awhile and while I really enjoyed the car in my 3 years of ownership I put 1,500 miles on it. I barely drove it...I swapped it for a Scion FR-S which is plenty fun because I can beat the **** out of it and I'm not doing triple digit speeds, it slides around nicely and is a fun track car. The downside? I don't have an emotional attachment to the car...

The car I purchased and drove in HS was a 1987 IrocZ and cars from the late 80s through late 90s just have a huge emotional appeal to me. I sold this car to help pay for college and decrease my outrageously expensive insurance rates at the time (2001) and spare me the high repair bills. I've long maintained at some point I'd own another 3rd gen.

I'm just now beginning to dip my toe in the waters to see if now is the right time to get a third gen. I'm also trying to sort out in my head if I want a 305 5 speed car or a 350 car and then do a 6MT swap. Obviously bigger engine is "better" on paper, but I also am wondering if keeping this pretty stock wouldn't be the better path. In which case a 305 5 speed car would seem to be the way to go.

Right now I'd say a 90 IrocZ or a 1992 Z28 would be the two cars I'd hold out to find. This is pretty early in the search process but the third gen keeps bubbling to the top of my want list.

Any thoughts or help?
Old 10-02-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Hot 355ci
Transmission: Beefed TH350
Axle/Gears: 4:10
Re: Dipping toe in 3rd gen waters...305 5MT or 350 auto (6MT swap?)

I'd go 5 speed 305, neither car is gonna be fast anyway, saves the hassle of swapping to manual. I think right now is a great time to buy, prices are raising and some really nice cars are popping up everywhere. Get a nice 20k ish mile car and drive it like you just drove it off the lot, that's what I wanna do anyway. Best of luck !!