TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHARCOAL CANNISTER

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: L31 VORTEC
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
CHARCOAL CANNISTER

Hello, i have been trying to located a replacement(new)charcoal cannister and i cant find anything that looks like mine.1987 iroc z lb9 charcoal cannister pn#17087213. have any of you guys replaced yours and what part number did you use and where can i find one.i know i can get one from advanced auto but it doesnt look the same because mine has the valve on top or will the advanced one work.thanks
Old 10-18-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28 IROC
Engine: 5.0L TPI H.O. 215HP STOCK
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: GU6=3.42
Re: CHARCOAL CANNISTER

I do not think you can get these or even rebuild/new charcoal for these....but search the site and you might find where someone McGyver'd something
Old 10-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Pro
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 and 1995 Silverado
Engine: 5.7 TPI and 5.7 TBI to TPI convert
Transmission: 700R4 and 4l60E
Axle/Gears: G80 3.23 and open 3.42

Watch ebay. One pops up and then. They are the same ones used by other vehicles during that time, IE oldsmobiles. I know because I just bought one when converting my truck to TPI these past few months. The trucks have a taller one, but I needed a shorter one like the one you are looking for.

BTW, if you cant find one, and want to go with a brand new canister, you could go with the truck ones, which are still made and everywhere. But you will have to do some custom work. The diameter of the canister is exactly the same as the f-bodys, but the height is twice as high (but it looks like it may still clear the hood since they sit low enough). It also doesn't come with the sensor built on top. But, the sensor the truck uses is the exact same plug. So what you would need to buy is the truck (88-95 GMC/chevrolet truck) canister, mount it in the f-body bracket, buy the truck purge solenoid, find a place to mount it, then plug the connector into it. Then move the hose that goes from the TB to the canister to go from the TB to the solenoid. Then you need an extra hose that will run from the other end of the solenoid to the canister. Then the canister to the fuel tank.
I haven't heard of anyone doing this but I would definitely consider it if I needed to do it on my car and needed a new one.

Last edited by Pro; 10-20-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: L31 VORTEC
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

THANKS