Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Which flywheel for T56/External balanced 383?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: T-56
Which flywheel for T56/External balanced 383?

I've done a seach on this and couldn't find any solid answers. First of all, this is not a new build, it's been in the car running for about 2 years and now I think my flywheel teeth are on the way out for an undtermined reason, so taken the flywheel and rotating assembly to a machine shop is really not and option. Now it's an aftermarket crank with a 1 piece rear main seal that I was told at the time of build was externally balanced. So if I get a new flywheel, I want to hopefully be able to work with this motor without problems. Now I've heard back and forth that the LT1 flywheels are internally balanced and I've heard they are externally balance so I don't know what to really think about that. But the two Centerforce flywheels that I found over at www.summitracing.com say they are both "Externally balanced" and both have a "Neutral balance style". Can anyone explain what "Neutral balance" means and if either one of these two flywheels would just bolt on and go with my Externally balanced 383? Here are the part numbers since you can't link to summits website.

www.Summitracing.com
CTF-700177
CTF-700175