Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

I get to keep her!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4 w/ about 7500 miles on rebuild
I get to keep her!

Yikes. It's really been a long time. Something like 2 years since I've been on here. Actually, it's been 2 years since I've driven my Iroc.

For those who remember me (come on, there has to be one of you!), there have been a lot of changes in my life. In 2005 I was planning on painting my Iroc and leaving it in the garage while i went to school, driving my crappy beretta back and forth to school (60 mile round trip every day). Unfortunately, the beretta got in an accident (other guys fault), so i was down to one car (iroc). I already had it torn down and mostly stripped of paint, so i had to slap it back together and throw a rattle can paint job on it. I drove that to school for 2 weeks to a month. I got terrible mileage because i just switch my gearing from 2.73 in the rear to 3.73 (with 2.73 and a 700R4 i was getting about 24mpg - 320hp 355). After i was able to purchase another car, i parked my iroc in my dad's garage and she hasn't moved since. I have since joined the Wisconsin Army National Guard and bought a motorcycle. When i bought the bike, my wife put her foot down and told me to pick the bike or the car. I picked the bike (what am i gonna do, get rid of my 2006 motorcycle for my iroc with the shape it was in? lol), but stalled on getting rid of the car.

Forward to now. My wife's car was getting up in age, so we recently got rid of it (gave it to my brother), and were planning on me a new daily driver and her taking my car. Well, i took that opportunity to talk her into me keeping my camaro. The only thing is, it now needs to become a daily driver. That means 700r4 and 3.73 is a no-go. I need to go back to 2.73 or do a T-56 swap asap (before the snow hits..lol). I also need to put on all new weatherstripping (ttop and doors) and get some form of heat in the car (had an AC setup, i need the nonac fan and whatnot).

Bleh, i have questions but i'll post in a bit.. got class right NOW
Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4 w/ about 7500 miles on rebuild
Re: I get to keep her!

yikes, i need to update my sig.. lol, later, i suppose

Anyway, i want some opinions about my situation..

Should i
A) Spray the camaro down with a craptastic rustoleum paintjob to protect against salt better than the rattle can paint and primer that is on there now (just for the winter.. a good paint job will come in the summer - and i plan to wash the car every week to battle salt)
B) leave it as is and just put the weather stripping in
C) Forget about it and get rid of the camaro cause i shouldnt put my car through salt every year even if i do clean it

???

Also, should i try to redo my rearend in 2.73 or look real hard for a T-56 and the conversion pieces for a good price?

Thanks