Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Eaton gov lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Camaro z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: Th350
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Eaton gov lock

CAn someone explain to me how this posi works? I believe this is what I have and it locks from a standstill but as soon the the wheels start spinning it only locks for about 5-10 feet then it looks/feels like one wheel spin from there on out.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Eaton gov lock

Easiest way to find out what you have, is to take off the cover and look.

Changed the fluid lately? I thought so. So while you're catching up on the "deferred maintenance" and getting that fluid that has about 5 times as many miles as it's supposed to on it, make a point of looking at the carrier to see what it is.

And don't forget to look at the gears too; that way your next post won't be something about "I think I have 5.33 gears because my tach reads 5000 RPM at 65 mph where's the code and what web site can I look it up on?"
Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Easiest way to find out what you have, is to take off the cover and look. Changed the fluid lately? I thought so. So while you're catching up on the "deferred maintenance" and getting that fluid that has about 5 times as many miles as it's supposed to on it, make a point of looking at the carrier to see what it is. And don't forget to look at the gears too; that way your next post won't be something about "I think I have 5.33 gears because my tach reads 5000 RPM at 65 mph where's the code and what web site can I look it up on?"
Lol nope still haven't pulled that damn cover off. Only takes a few minutes I know. I just got the car not too long ago and was trying to figure out what posi acts like that and then I read about to gov lock posi. What rear ends were available in 84? As soon as time permits I'll finally pull that cover off!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

10-bolt was the only one.

There were very few posi carriers available that year. Correct one would have been an Auburn. It is said by some that a few Gov-Bombs found their way into these cars but I have never personally witnessed one.

The Grenade-Lok acts the opposite of shat you describe. It is an open, until the difference in the RPMs of the axles exceeds something around 100 RPM, at which point the little weight things no longer counterbalance each other and they fly out and make it lock up with a bang.

Your description sounds like either no posi at all (open), or an Auburn that's wore out; in which case, it's an open, it just weighs a bit more.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:53 PM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

You prob. have a Borg-Warner 9 bolt NOT a Eaton gov-loc 10 bolt!

Count the bolts on the cover!
Old 11-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

The 9-bolt was not used until 85; and not until later still in the Camaro.

Absolutely positively without a doubt came with a 10-bolt.

Always a good idea to do basic free things like .... count the bolts, though.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:36 PM

The 9-bolt was not used until 85; and not until later still in the Camaro. Absolutely positively without a doubt came with a 10-bolt. Always a good idea to do basic free things like .... count the bolts, though.
I'll count them tonight and possibly pull the cover off. I've never seen an open diff spin two tires before so it's definitely not that. What fluid should I use to refill?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Supreme Member

If the suspension is loading both rear tires evenly then a standard differential will spin both tires. A Gov Lock will lock up and stay locked up until you turn a corner or do something to cause the governor to unlock. It shouldn't unlock during a burnout. A Gov Lock will not lock at all after you are going around 10 to 20 MPH and then start spinning one tire. It's set up so that it won't lock up at speed and cause an accident.

The correct oil will depend on which differential you have. Get the cover off and see what is in there. If you have a worn out Auburn then be prepared for a complete rear end flush and a new differential with bearings.

Last edited by big gear head; 11-30-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by sonjaab
You prob. have a Borg-Warner 9 bolt NOT a Eaton gov-loc 10 bolt! Count the bolts on the cover!
I counted ten bolts
Old 11-30-2013, 10:57 PM
On Probation

The 9-bolt was not used until 85; and not until later still in the Camaro.
Absolutely positively without a doubt came with a 10-bolt.
NOPE..............

Note my avatar pic.............
My 84 HO auto 3:73 Borg Warner 9 bolt 100% stock,
If its a BW and won't lock then the cones are worn out.
3:73s were only offered in the BW 9 bolt rear and not the corp. 10 or 12 bolts.
(maybe only true with the L-69s ?)

Info is confusing as to which/when/yada rear is used.
Count the bolts to be sure!

If its a GM corporate 10 bolt then is a "gov-bomb" and it only stays locked till
x-rpm/mph just like the GM pickups

Last edited by sonjaab; 11-30-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

No 9 bolt was used in '82 and '83. Those were 7.5 10 bolts only. I can't say for sure about '84, but the first I know of was in '85.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:47 AM

Car: '82 TA GT1 Roadracer
Engine: ZZ4 Fast Burn 385
Transmission: TEX101A Dog Box
Axle/Gears: 3.73 4th Gen w/Auburn Racers Diff

Originally Posted by sonjaab
My 84 HO auto 3:73 Borg Warner 9 bolt 100% stock
Uh, you mean 3.70...right?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

3:73s were only offered in the BW 9 bolt rear and not the corp. 10 or 12 bolts.
(maybe only true with the L-69s ?)

Info is confusing as to which/when/yada rear is used.
Count the bolts to be sure!

If its a GM corporate 10 bolt then is a "gov-bomb" and it only stays locked till
x-rpm/mph just like the GM pickups
Virtually EVERY SINGLE WORD in this post is WRONG. This is a perfect example of how people become misinformed. For anyone who wants to know THE TRUTH, all you have to do is look at this guy's post, then you'll at least know what's NOT true.

No 9-bolts in 84.

The 9-bolt appeared in 85, and only in Firebirds. Wasn't used in any Camaro until a coupla years later.

If you have a 84 Camaro w a 9-bolt, it was swapped in.

The 9-bolt doesn't even have a 3.73 gear, from the factory. (only aftermarket and I'm not sure even that is available any more) In the VERY FEW 85 FIrebirds w L69, the ONLY application that got that combo, they used a 3.70.

LOTS of 10-bolts have 3.73s. My 83 L69 car does. LOTS AND LOTS of S trucks have em too.

The truck sitting in my driveway w 8.5 10-bolt has 3.73s.

The stock posi for the 10-bolt in the early years of these cars was the Auburn; while I've heard that the Grenade-Lock slipped into a few, I've never seen one like that that wasn't a swap.

It's amazing how much WRONG stuff gets posted on the Internet by PEOPLE WHO WEREN'T THERE AT THE TIME, and therefore have NO CLUE how these cars ACTUALLY came from the factory.

The Gov-Lock works by the difference in RPMS of the axles. At about 100 RPM of DIFFERENCE, the rear LOCKS UP, and stays locked up until torque is removed. (hopefully... sometimes not) Just like every other word in that post, the description of how that thing works, is WRONG.

Oh BTW, I have one of THOSE sitting in my driveway too. Along with my 83 L69 with the 3.73s that I've had since probably a decade before the guy that doesn't know what he's talking about was born.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 12-01-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Virtually EVERY SINGLE WORD in this post is WRONG. This is a perfect example of how people become misinformed. For anyone who wants to know THE TRUTH, all you have to do is look at this guy's post, then you'll at least know what's NOT true. No 9-bolts in 84. The 9-bolt appeared in 85, and only in Firebirds. Wasn't used in any Camaro until a coupla years later. If you have a 84 Camaro w a 9-bolt, it was swapped in. The 9-bolt doesn't even have a 3.73 gear, from the factory. (only aftermarket and I'm not sure even that is available any more) In the VERY FEW 85 FIrebirds w L69, the ONLY application that got that combo, they used a 3.70. LOTS of 10-bolts have 3.73s. My 83 L69 car does. LOTS AND LOTS of S trucks have em too. The truck sitting in my driveway w 8.5 10-bolt has 3.73s. The stock posi for the 10-bolt in the early years of these cars was the Auburn; while I've heard that the Grenade-Lock slipped into a few, I've never seen one like that that wasn't a swap. It's amazing how much WRONG stuff gets posted on the Internet by PEOPLE WHO WEREN'T THERE AT THE TIME, and therefore have NO CLUE how these cars ACTUALLY came from the factory. The Gov-Lock works by the difference in RPMS of the axles. At about 100 RPM of DIFFERENCE, the rear LOCKS UP, and stays locked up until torque is removed. (hopefully... sometimes not) Just like every other word in that post, the description of how that thing works, is WRONG. Oh BTW, I have one of THOSE sitting in my driveway too. Along with my 83 L69 with the 3.73s that I've had since probably a decade before the guy that doesn't know what he's talking about was born.
So if I have a posi, what oil should I use??

Last edited by Mrbanados; 12-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Any kind of 75W-90 gear lube, with a bottle of posi additive. I prefer the GM whale juice and Mobil1 gear lube.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

But if all you have is a Gov-Lock, it doesn't need the additive.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Post of the year!
Virtually EVERY SINGLE WORD in this post is WRONG. This is a perfect example of how people become misinformed. For anyone who wants to know THE TRUTH, all you have to do is look at this guy's post, then you'll at least know what's NOT true.

No 9-bolts in 84.

The 9-bolt appeared in 85, and only in Firebirds. Wasn't used in any Camaro until a coupla years later.

If you have a 84 Camaro w a 9-bolt, it was swapped in.

The 9-bolt doesn't even have a 3.73 gear, from the factory. (only aftermarket and I'm not sure even that is available any more) In the VERY FEW 85 FIrebirds w L69, the ONLY application that got that combo, they used a 3.70.

LOTS of 10-bolts have 3.73s. My 83 L69 car does. LOTS AND LOTS of S trucks have em too.

The truck sitting in my driveway w 8.5 10-bolt has 3.73s.

The stock posi for the 10-bolt in the early years of these cars was the Auburn; while I've heard that the Grenade-Lock slipped into a few, I've never seen one like that that wasn't a swap.

It's amazing how much WRONG stuff gets posted on the Internet by PEOPLE WHO WEREN'T THERE AT THE TIME, and therefore have NO CLUE how these cars ACTUALLY came from the factory.

The Gov-Lock works by the difference in RPMS of the axles. At about 100 RPM of DIFFERENCE, the rear LOCKS UP, and stays locked up until torque is removed. (hopefully... sometimes not) Just like every other word in that post, the description of how that thing works, is WRONG.

Oh BTW, I have one of THOSE sitting in my driveway too. Along with my 83 L69 with the 3.73s that I've had since probably a decade before the guy that doesn't know what he's talking about was born.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:24 PM
On Probation

Sorry Sofa...........................

I got a 84 in the garage!
9 bolt BW Numbers on the axle tube decode to 3:73s

Tech forms here show a BW rear depending on year/ratio 83 up to 89
otherwise its a GM corporate rear.

My 72 pontiac is a 10 bolt "posi" and has a tag calling for limited slip additive.
Can't recall is my Z has one so will have to look and take the decode #s again
to post here.

My 07 chevy truck has the gov-loc "posi" and specifically calls for NO additive
needed!

As far as my post being TOTALLY wrong...................I doubt it!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Sonjaab, did you buy the 84 new?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Supreme Member

No you don't have what you are claiming you have.

Your car DID NOT come with a later model rear than the car it's installed in.

BLEE DAT.

Your "codes" (GT4 I presume) "decode" to a 10-bolt 3.73; one of the likely options that would have come in the car.

Has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the later-model rear that's in there now.

I've been on this planet now for quite some time. It's a pretty odd place I'll agree, but one thing I figured out A LONG TIME AGO, not terribly long after arriving on it, is that there's no such thing as "features from the future" in a mass-produced artifact. Being on familiar terms with the space aliens as I am, I can assure you, they have no sense of humor, and aren't "testing" humans for potentially avoiding self-immolation; they don't take breaks from creating crop circles and Elvis sightings, just to invade an assembly plant late at night and slip a non-existent, at the time, but subject to later inclusion in the same finished product family, part onto the line, just to see if the humans on the line notice. Ain't happenin like that.

Sorry to yank you out of Fantasy Land and back to Earth.

And of course, I'm assuming you've pulled the cover and ACTUALLY know what's ACTUALLY in whatever later-model rear is ACTUALLY in your car but didn't come in it; right? How many teeth did YOU SEE on the gears? What's the production date stamped on them?

Note that I DON'T GIVE A RIP about a bunch of "tech forums"; don't have to. Don't need to "read" about how these cars were built back then. I WAS THERE AT THE TIME. UNLIKE YOU obviously. Remember?

And yes I know about 72 Pontiacs and 07 trucks; I WAS THERE in 1972, and I have a late-model truck not far different in age from yours, with a Gov-Lock, which is why I also posted

Any kind of 75W-90 gear lube, with a bottle of posi additive. I prefer the GM whale juice and Mobil1 gear lube.
and

But if all you have is a Gov-Lock, it doesn't need the additive.
Sorry, son; there's a time and a place for arguing this kind of stuff, but for you, this ain't it. If I may quote the immortal Samuel Clemens, "It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." You'll realize that when you reach adulthood. (hopefully)

Last edited by sofakingdom; 12-01-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Oh BTW... no need to look at your "tag" to see if you need to buy the lube when you summon the courage to LOOK AT THE PARTS in your car, and admit that you're wrong; the 9-bolt, since its clutches are entirely metal and not any kind of organic composition like .... a posi that would have come in your car, or ..... your 70s 8.2" 10-bolt, it doesn't need additive, so the "tag", if in case it got swapped into your car along with the rear, won't call for it.

I WAS THERE. You weren't.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Post Removed

Last edited by OrangeBird; 12-02-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Supreme Member

Thank you for your enlightening contribution. I'm sure it helps everyone clarify the question of how to identify a posi, and how to tell the difference between knowledge of reality, and fantasy of what someone who is mistaken would like to believe.

Would you care to present any actual INFORMATION along with your filthy-mouth? In that case we'd love to hear what you have to say. (speaking strictly for myself of course)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

post removed

Last edited by OrangeBird; 12-02-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

Edit:

Mrbanados just use what you've got till it blows. Save your nickles and put the gear oil change into a replacement rear end before installing it. Auburn / Gov-loc, don't matter....... most agree that they are not worth fixxing.

The simple fact that you break both tires loose while stepping on the brake and holding straight - then 1 side quits - means your current POSI / rear end is failing and your going to need a replacement if you want to leave 2 stripes again. 'Fat-chance' that an oil change and new additive is going to help that tired-oul Auburn POSI spring pack !

Last edited by John in RI; 12-01-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Edit ;)
Old 12-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Supreme Member

You know that bitter old man who yells at thr kids that walk in 'his' grass?
Sofa is the internets version.

I'll say I've seen others get banned or put on probation for less.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by John in RI
Edit: Mrbanados just use what you've got till it blows. Save your nickles and put the gear oil change into a replacement rear end before installing it. Auburn / Gov-loc, don't matter....... most agree that they are not worth fixxing. The simple fact that you break both tires loose while stepping on the brake and holding straight - then 1 side quits - means your current POSI / rear end is failing and your going to need a replacement if you want to leave 2 stripes again. 'Fat-chance' that an oil change and new additive is going to help that tired-oul Auburn POSI spring pack !
Thanks! That's what I needed to hear! Any recommendations for what to save up for? This is mainly a street car maybe an occasional track car
Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

The Eaton Posi is a very good differential. The Yukon Dura Grip is also very good for a little less money. Both of these are rebuildable if you were ever able to wear one out. The Eaton Truetrac is also good along with the Toresn, but you would have to upgrade to 28 spline axles to use the Torsen. Be sure that you get the correct series for the gear ratio that you have and the 28 spline axle upgrade is also a good idea. DO NOT get an Auburn or Eaton Governor Lock.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 bird
Engine: enough to break stuff
Transmission: manual th400

not wanting to start a fight but it sounds like normal behavior for a gov lock. works if you keep the wheel speed down like in a truck in the snow. other than that it will open and thats why people dont like it because it is rough on the diff if you dont take it easy on it. why they would put one in a car i have no idea. but you definitely do not want to use limited slip fluid in a gov lock, there is a gm tsb about causing it problems
Old 12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Init, you can be as trashy and idiotic as you like, and attack me personally as much as you want; doesn't hurt my feelings in the slightest, or diminish the TRUTH in the matter at hand, or excuse the guy who won't listen to reality and insists on arguing about something he's DEAD WRONG about.

And once again, thank you SO MUCH for brightening our day!! I feel uplifted just knowing that I've brought you some happiness.

But however all that might be, it doesn't help out the guy who wants to know about his Gov-Lock. I'd suggest less sniping at those of us who are genuinely trying to HELP OUT and to DEBUNK WRONGNESS that's been posted by others (who however SINCERE their "intentions" may be, are MISTAKEN, and are therefore not of any help whatsoever), and instead, offer constructive assistance.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 12-02-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Init, you can be as trashy and idiotic as you like, and attack me personally as much as you want; doesn't hurt my feelings in the slightest, or diminish the TRUTH in the matter at hand, or excuse the guy who won't listen to reality and insists on arguing about something he's DEAD WRONG about.

And once again, thank you SO MUCH for brightening our day!! I feel uplifted just knowing that I've brought you some happiness.

But however all that might be, it doesn't help out the guy who wants to know about his Gov-Lock. I'd suggest less sniping at those of us who are genuinely trying to HELP OUT and to DEBUNK WRONGNESS that's been posted by others (who however SINCERE their "intentions" may be, are MISTAKEN, and are therefore not of any help whatsoever), and instead, offer constructive assistance.
Look , Sofa , I fully realize that you DO know a whole bunch about these cars , and I have not once yet seen you be wrong in your advice . I do , however , see red when I see you talk down to folks as though they were morons ! There just has GOT to be a better way than to demean the intelligence of the folks your trying to help . Tough love may work with our own children (or grandchildren) but the internet is the WORST medium for pulling sarcasm on folks who don't really know ya and thus have no idea of your true motivations . Couldn't ya dispense your usually good advice without rubbing the recipient's nose in it , akin to potty training a puppy ?

I will agree that I posted in anger and that wasn't right , for that you DO have my apology . Now , could we try to not loose sight of the fact that these are real folks at the other end of the screen and behave as we would in a face to face meeting at some car show or something ? I ain't sayin go around candy coating everything or go kissin folk's butts , just a bit of a backpedal on the (apparent) meanness ?

Anyway , sorry for being a dick in trying to present my point and please think about what I said . These folks DO need your help , they just don't need to be booted in the butt while getting it ....

Last edited by OrangeBird; 12-02-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 406 CI
Transmission: Pete K 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:55

Enough.
If the OP wants to start a new thread, I don't have a problem with it.
I am locking this one, and requesting personal attacks do not continue.