Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

WARNING: Do not deal with this seller on craigslist!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10
WARNING: Do not deal with this seller on craigslist!

Last weekend I purchased a "built" 700r4 off of a guy who listed it on craigslist, price was great, $550, drove 3 hours round trip for the tranny. Sounded like a great deal. Upon installing the trans I found the shifter was limp after hooking up the linkage, no problem, dropped the pan and tightenened the selector shaft nut which was left loose, also pulled a large piece of plastic wrap out of the trans filter.. reinstalled the pan and thought all was well.. My next suprise was that it had no reverse gear. Called the guy and he told me to pull the trans and bring it back and he'd take care of it. The next day while on the way to his shop aka his house I called him to let him know I was on my way, he then asked if I flushed the trans cooler which I told him I in fact did, and asked if I used a new converter which I told him I didn't, (I used a reman converter from a rebuilt trans that I didnt use at my shop as the customer provided his own higher stall converter), upon hearing that he told me that he would only refund my money since I didn't buy a new converter off of him, since obviously a reman torque converter that works fine in forward gears is clearly the reason the trans lacks reverse... The strange little man accused me of lying about flushing the cooler and told me over and over to that you can't use a "used" converter.... I told him that he left the selector shaft nut loose to which he rudely replied "boohoo" and close his garage door... I hope nobody else has the misfortune of dealing with this rude unprofessional and clearly amature moron.. Here is a link to the trans I brought back to him yesterday, notice the price increase... http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/4851287802.html , Do not waste your time or money, this guy is a moron. Consider yourselves warned. Feel free to give him a call and ask if he's the guy who sells crap trannies than blames the buyer for his mistakes..

Last edited by 89RsPower!; 01-18-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: WARNING: Do not deal with this seller on craigslist!

This is a joke. The 2nd gear feed hole must be .125". This will make for an extremely hard 1-2 part throttle shift. He did not upgrade the input to output shaft seal to the later Viton seal to guarantee oil to the rear planet. Uses Alto clutches on the forward here, that's ok, but the oem BW's are best. Cannot tell what is in the 3-4 from the picture, but he says they are Hi-Energy, but not by whom. Kevlar band is a no-no, as they are junk. This is laughable, but a GM engineer using a B&M valve body kit with blocking the accumulators did not learn much. The full throttle 4th gear upshift sleeve ($40 - $55). You can do this for less than a dollar. The filter is not the Sealed Power, maybe an Allomatic which is ok but not the best. He offers a chrome pan. I guess he likes to hold in the heat. His statement of "My 20+ years as a GM engineer supplied me with the knowledge to perform the needed upgrades to solidify the performance to these units" It certainly wasn't in the 700R4 transmissions. By the way, did you get your monay back???

PS: Didn't you know that it is perfectly obvious a reman torque converter that works fine in forward gears is "clearly" the reason the trans has no reverse!!!! This is one for Mad magazine.