Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

clutch hydraulic line replace ouch

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 s/e, 94 must conv, 66 must
Engine: 2.8 v6
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi just chngd from 3.73
clutch hydraulic line replace ouch

OK so it looks like the clutch hydro line is a joke.. to replace. any ideas on total replacement of the system incl master and slave along w/ the offending pipe...? this is what I call sonofabitch engineering... designed to make you say "sonof a" and take your car to the dealer for service... bad GM bad boys.... how about removing the brake master ???? anythings got to be better than what I've read about this line... thanks Doug
Old 02-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: clutch hydraulic line replace ouch

Originally Posted by mcbitchman
OK so it looks like the clutch hydro line is a joke.. to replace. any ideas on total replacement of the system incl master and slave along w/ the offending pipe...? this is what I call sonofabitch engineering... designed to make you say "sonof a" and take your car to the dealer for service... bad GM bad boys.... how about removing the brake master ???? anythings got to be better than what I've read about this line... thanks Doug
I'm not really Sure what your asking for? The complete assemble with the clutch master, line, slave and reservoir is readily available and well as the 93-97 Lt1 style setup which also works and has a braided steel line.

Everything unbolts as an assembly, 2 nuts by the pedals to remove the u bolt.that holds the master to the firewall, and two bolts on the slave on the side of the bellhousing. A couple screws fir the reservoir and the entire assembly comes out. No real need to remove the brake booster unless you feel the need.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Right, takes about a half-hour to replace the whole shebang, if you're slow like me. You're probably faster though, you can probably have it done in half the time. Looks scary but is really a piece o cake.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I find a kit? I have an 89 iroc and want to replace it all fresh. Car has been sitting for 10 years. Or one that will bolt up from a newer model?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member

Try www.rockauto.com
Old 02-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have the slave and master cylinders. Looking for a complete assembly. Found one for 280 in New York. Anything cheaper another year model swap maybe?
Old 02-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Supreme Member

AFAIK all years fit all cars.

I had a 91 (I think...) assy on the 84 stuff that was in my 83 car, after the 84 parts gave up the ghost. Seems like I went to the stealership and they showed different part #s for just about every year, but they only had the one year in stock, so I bought it, and it was perfect.