Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

One more T-5 swap question Picture request

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:23
One more T-5 swap question Picture request

OK I've scoured the internet looking for a "straight on" picture of a FACTORY firewall Clutch master hole or a prefab template like the one available for the 71-82's. The closest I've found is a cut out firewall from an old eBay auction.

I'm surprised with all the talk no one has ever fabbed up a plate that bolts behind the brake master that locates the clutch master. I bought a fabbed blank plate to cover where all the climate control stuff went...

I've read most of the swap thread here and elsewhere. I know about the reinforcement bar trick but they have about 1/2" of wiggle room.....
Old 02-06-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:23
Re: One more T-5 swap question Picture request

Old 02-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac
Re: One more T-5 swap question Picture request

You are correct about the "wiggle" room but it gets you close enough. I had a cut out in the factory carpet pad that helped too. I got it in the ball park and went with it.
The master/slave cylinder gives you some forgiveness but I ended up making my master cylinder rod adjustable too. When I was running T5 and a "stock" clutch it was fine but when I went with a TKO and HP clutch I needed the adjustment.
If I had one bit of advice it would be to get the master as high as possible within the "wiggle" room. That way you have it closer to the pivot and therefore more stroke available. Not really more but less wasted by being out of square or away from the pivot.