Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Rebuilding my TH700R4. Newbie with some questions

Old 02-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt 3.27
Rebuilding my TH700R4. Newbie with some questions

First time I have every worked on this kind of transmission.

Saw a lot of youtube videos, got myself the ATRA Rebuild guide and also have the Factory service manual (to make up for minor differences from the 4L60E).

Transmission was working fine. Didn't use the car a lot before beginning the restoration so I cannot say 100% if it was working as it should or not.

I had some leaks from Input and Output shafts so I got a seal kit (Dacco K77900C).

Started today removing the servo, oil pan, wiring, valve body... First thing I don't agree with what I found. Some of the check ***** are either not present or not in the right place. I will check this with the service manual.

While removing the 1-2 accumulator I slowly removed the piston however to my surprise, there was no spring???
Removed the Auxiliary accumulator and separator plate.

Removed the 3-4 accumulator to find again that there was no spring also under this piston !!!

I have now continued with the rest of the disassembly and didn't find any more dodgy stuff till now. Endplay is well within tolerance. Have to check clutch plate thickness.

Question is, How come the transmission didn't feel bad without those two springs? What should I have felt? I still cant understand the usage of every component in an auto trans.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:15 PM

Re: Rebuilding my TH700R4. Newbie with some questions

Searching further on the internet I found that at times people rebuild these transmissions and remove the springs from the accumulators to put sleeves instead. Mine has sleeves also.

Apparently this will result in stiffer shifts at WOT.
Do you guys think I should put back the springs or leave the sleeves there?
Old 02-18-2017, 01:06 PM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

recommend the transgo kit from dana at pro-built. need to make adjustments in there that work together, rather than trial and error it.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by aseychell
Searching further on the internet I found that at times people rebuild these transmissions and remove the springs from the accumulators to put sleeves instead. Mine has sleeves also.

Apparently this will result in stiffer shifts at WOT.
Do you guys think I should put back the springs or leave the sleeves there?
Since 1982 when the 700R4 was introduced, these transmissions are more commonly rebuilt than you can imagine. The early ones ('82-'85 in my experience) usually lasted 60k miles before needing to be rebuilt; and these are ones that weren't abused.

If your transmission is missing accumulator pistons, it has definitely been torn apart and modified in some fashion. Eliminating the accumulation is done to lessen the time it takes for the transmission to release a gear and apply the next (at all throttle openings, just not WOT)

It's pretty difficult to say one way or another if you should leave your transmission the way it is now (without accumulation) or to put the missing parts back in (I don't know if you can just put in the missing parts and not have to undo what other modifications might have been done related to the accumulation).

I tend to listen to the advice of an expert when it comes to something that I know only enough to be dangerous.

http://www.700r4l60e.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9

The few times when I've had to get into the internals of an automatic transmission, I only want to do it once; it's way to expensive to be buying hard parts and having to remove, correct a mistake and re-install it to make it common practice.

Why are you rebuilding the transmission if there's nothing wrong with it?
Old 02-19-2017, 05:29 AM

To clarify its missing the springs not the pistons. It has sleeves instead of springs.

Why rebuild? good question : 3 reasons :
1. I am interested and want to learn on auto transmissions
2. I wanted to solve leaks from pump, sump, front and rear shafts
3. I don't know what the car went through so it gives me the opportunity to investigate the past.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

I'll be the third person to suggest that you call Dana at Probuilt.
www.700r4l60e.com

you'll have to leave a message, but he'll call you back in a day usually.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:06 AM

I wish it was this easy for me. Don't think he will be interested in calling Malta...

And anyway I am not planning on anything special. Maybe replace clutch plates if they are worn out. Seals for sure.will probably leave the accumulators without springs.
Bushes don't seem to require any replacement but if I change the clutch plates I will get a kit including bushes and change them.

Search this Thread