Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Vehicle Speed Sensor - help!

Old 05-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle Speed Sensor - help!

Hi all,

I have a 91, convertible Maro, V8 5.0 RS.

The speedo slowly went out, then the odo and trip. I've done a LOT of diagnosis on it and can't figure this crap out. Neither can the guys I work with at the shop.

The signal from the VSS (which is mounted in the tranny, two wire, goes from sensor to buffer then to ECU). Checked that wires have continuity to the buffer, put a new connector on it and a new sensor in cuz when I scope it there's intermittent signal coming out of it when someone is under there and pushes on it.

I've done some research and found that there's some diff colors for the driving/driven gears in there and I think I have the right color in there for my gear ratio, which probably isn't the problem since it use to work. ....But the fact that it only puts out signal when someone pushes on it tells me it must be the wrong sensor. Altho I called the dealer to make sure the one I put in from O'Reilly matches the OE part number (10456088). The driven gear just isnt meshing all of a sudden.... anyone have any experience with this??

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Firebird
Re: Vehicle Speed Sensor - help!

Your wires could be damaged. I had a Fiero that when I changed the alt I bumped into the wires for the VSS and the the speedo and odometer stopped working (If you've ever had the displeasure of changing the alt on auto fiero you'd know what I'm talking about). I just played with the wires and it worked again. Wires, especially thin wires, being exposed to years of water splashing it, drying, heat, etc etc, sometimes don't hold up. My guess is that the wires themselves are probably worn on the trans side.

Search this Thread