Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

BW 9 Bolt install tips

Old 05-21-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird TA
Engine: SBC 350
Transmission: TH350 Stage2
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt rebuilt w/3.70
BW 9 Bolt install tips

Guys I just installed my used series 3 carrier and used 3.70 gear in my BW 9 bolt to replace my Series 2 and 2.77 gear. I got a good deal for both for like $300 so I bought it and new diff install kit, TA cover, posi cones, axle seals/bearings.

Here are some tips for the newbies. The new style of axle bearing by Timken are 1 piece incase you worry they are different. I got my old axle races out with a long piece of 1" pipe worked like a charm 1 wack it was out. Fits right though the diff.

On the seals the Napa ones look different from the OEM ones but they fit like a glove. I wish I bought 2 of them instead of 1 NAPA(D) and 1 Timken(P) seal. Tried to save a few bucks. I thought the NAPA one would be the issue but it fits perfect. The Timken seal will work but I noticed like other people posted it will bow your axle plate like 1/32 to 1/8" in the middle of it since the seal doesn't follow the bend of the plate perfect. You will see if you compare the old to new Timken seal. I don't care as long as it doesn't leak.

The races for pinion bearings were the pain in the *** since I was using the $30 HF bearing/race install kit. Could use a longer driver but it does work for the money you will see when you try to hit the inner race in.

The rest went good with no issues. Also make sure you see if you have the large pinion bearing or the small one before you get press it on. I learned I had the small one or the early design 9 bolt case.

Search this Thread