Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4: input shaft checkball capsule, ball removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 90 IROC
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt BW
700R4: input shaft checkball capsule, ball removal

on my last 700R4, i followed the instructions in the ATSG 700R4/4L60 manual which recommends removing the checkball from the checkball capsule for "HEAVY DUTY APPLICATIONS ONLY", which of course, applies to all of us.

benefit cited as "for a firmer converter clutch apply."

problem i have is that the checkball retainer capsule (part ID #617), at least in my case, is a hardened steel, which is very brittle, and cracks when i tried to bend it, in order to get the checkball out. back then, no problem, went to the GM parts counter and order another one.

nowadays, AFAIK, it's a discontinued part (8639284), oh well, c'est la vie. also, neither here nor there, but as an aside, the Sonnax shaft, 77733-10S, comes with the checkball in the capsule, installed.

but here's the question. i don't understand why, if the checkball has been removed, that the retainer needs to be reinserted back into the input shaft. if there's no checkball, what's the point? does the empty capsule provide some flow restriction? i don't see how, that's a big gaping hole without the ball in it, especially if you've already straightened the tangs in order to get the ball out.

the ATSG book is very emphatic, however, all caps, underlined, about "DO NOT leave the retainer out of the turbine shaft, the BALL ONLY can be omited". see p.69. they might as well have said hellfire and brimstone...

so i'm a little hesitant to do it again, given the chances that it'll crack, and then i'm screwed. aside from being puzzled.

any insights?

Last edited by RPOL98; 05-26-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: 700R4: input shaft checkball capsule, ball removal

We used to remove the checkball completely for HD applications. But found that it was hard on the dampner springs in the torque converter (they will bottom out with the checkball capsule removed), and it is annoying (feels like another gear shift). I now remove the single feed capsule and replace it with the later dual feed capsule on 1995 and later 4L60E units. The part you want is a genuine GM and the part number is 8685839. Aftermarket number is D74480. This will give you twice the oil without any of the other side effects. I add this to all of my rebuild kits that are 1994 and earlier. The Sonnax shaft has the dual feed capsule as far as I know, as the earlier single feed has not been available for years.