Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Clutch Fluid Won't Bleed

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Fluid Won't Bleed

I am doing a clutch swap and needed to replace the slave cylinder as well. After replacing I can't get the clutch fluid to bleed.

I filled the slave cylinder with fluid and installed it, then and had a friend push in the pedal so that I could crack the bleed screw and tighten it again per the proper bleeding procedure. The first time he pushed in the pedal the slave cylinder moved, but as soon as I opened the bleed screw the pedal went dead and stopped moving the slave at all.

After trying a couple more tries I gave up and removed the bleed screw so that I could pull vacuum on the system with a mighty vac. The system holds vacuum and I got up to above 20" mercury but no fluid moves.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the fluid moving through the system? The pedal was pretty firm the first time, so I kinda wish that I hadn't tried to bleed it at all
Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: Clutch Fluid Won't Bleed

Try bleeding it in reverse by moving the slave not the pedal.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 Z-28 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: richmond 3.73, eaton posi
Re: Clutch Fluid Won't Bleed

not to state the obvious, but you were closing the bleeder screw before he let the pedal back up right?....also check the resivour...it empties out real quick